Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd drive problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

News flash, Computer found in king tuts tomb!

My wife came home with a computer the other day that a coworker gave to her. Its a IBM Aptiva with windows 98 on it. How old the computer is is anyones guess but it works. It has 2 drives. One for a floppy and one for a cd. neither one is marked as to which is which. I'm not familer with this system. I don't know how to get the cd drive to work, I'd like to try and put windows xp on this computer.

Anyone got any ideas on how and where I start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

Does the CD open when you press on the eject button? Does it show up under My Computer?
If it turns out to be defective, you may be able to find a used cheap replacement. As for putting XP on this computer, does it even meet the minimum hardware requirements for XP?

See this - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sysreqs/pro.mspx
Edit: Spelling

Edited by Joshuacat, 27 November 2008 - 08:50 PM.

JC

#3 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:18 PM

Does the CD open when you press on the eject button? Does it show up under My Computer?
If it turns out to be defective, you may be able to find a used cheap replacement. As for putting XP on this computer, does it even meet the minimum hardware requirements for XP?

See this - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sysreqs/pro.mspx
Edit: Spelling

Thank you for your response! The cd drive (D:\) ? works fine. I used it to put peoplepc on here with no problem. I don't think windows xp will go on this computer so I had my daughter down load a fresh copy of windows 98 second edition onto a cd for me. When I try to put the new copy on here the drive D:\ dosent acknowlage that there is even a cd in the drive. What little I do know about computers was learned on a xp system so windows 98 is like a forean language to me! This computer came with a ton of downloaded junk on it. I have tried to delete the unessary stuff to speed up the computer but now feel I just need to start over with a fresh copy of windows 98. We do not have the origional windows cd. Just the code or prouduct key for it on the side of the computer. How do I wipe the computer clean and put on a fresh copy of windows 98 second edition? Thank you for your help!

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:36 PM

Whats the model number of the IBM Aptiva?
Its on a sticker somewhere or sometimes on the front.

Before you go as far as a reformat we need to make sure that you have all the drivers you will need for video, sound, modem, network card etc. You could make it worse if you cant get everything to work again!
Using PeoplePC you are obviously using dialup
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

Whats the model number of the IBM Aptiva?
Its on a sticker somewhere or sometimes on the front.

Before you go as far as a reformat we need to make sure that you have all the drivers you will need for video, sound, modem, network card etc. You could make it worse if you cant get everything to work again!
Using PeoplePC you are obviously using dialup

Thank you for your response Eyesee, my modle number is on the back of the machine and it is BAA. Thats all it says!

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:00 PM

There should be more to it than for the model number Buckshot
I would not go as far as formatting and reloading yet. You could make it much worse!

Checking the IBM website I cannot find any IBM Aptivas listed anymore.

Define more what the problem is.
Maybe it just needs a simple tuneup.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:23 AM

There should be more to it than for the model number Buckshot
I would not go as far as formatting and reloading yet. You could make it much worse!

Checking the IBM website I cannot find any IBM Aptivas listed anymore.

Define more what the problem is.
Maybe it just needs a simple tuneup.

well i wish i had gotten this message before i tried to format it!

I had to buy a whole new computer cuzz of you!

lol, I kid, I kid! I'm just joking with you! lol, All is fine, I've been gone!

I hope your Christmas went well?

Ok, lets see, first off heres what it says on the back on the computer.

machine type-2194
model no.-baa
s/n-fb1717a
mfg date-07b
and one long no. with a bar code-1s2194baafb171ta

Thats it!

One thing the computer does that annoys me is when I leave it ideal for a few minutes (like if I'm reading) I hear a squeaking noise come from the brain box, almost like a chirp and then the mouse turns into an hour glass and flips over and over. I have no control at all over the computer at that point, it will sit there and do that all night, the only thing I can do is hit the turn off button and start over.

Is that wired or what? When I hear that chirp I turn into the cowardly lion on the wizard of oz, I grab my tail, begin crying while I repeat out loud, I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks! lol What can I do?

#8 hometech

hometech

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

HI was reading your post and can say without a doubt that you can put xp on your old computer or you can put both 98 and xp on it. i have mutiple machines that have both with the oldest being a ibm pc300 from 96 built for win95! i will check back and help if you decide to pursue using the old aptiva.{a word of advice, i noticed some ibms used bad caps in the mobos so eyeball the mobo and look at the caps{green or black round things standing up with two wires into mobo} the tops should be flat but if you see any domes throw the motherboard away {of course keep the rest of the parts} and by the way you might need a start up floppy disk for win98 or the set of floppies for xp if the computer does not support cd booting

#9 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

HI was reading your post and can say without a doubt that you can put xp on your old computer or you can put both 98 and xp on it. i have mutiple machines that have both with the oldest being a ibm pc300 from 96 built for win95! i will check back and help if you decide to pursue using the old aptiva.{a word of advice, i noticed some ibms used bad caps in the mobos so eyeball the mobo and look at the caps{green or black round things standing up with two wires into mobo} the tops should be flat but if you see any domes throw the motherboard away {of course keep the rest of the parts} and by the way you might need a start up floppy disk for win98 or the set of floppies for xp if the computer does not support cd booting

thanks hometech but for now i'm going to stay with 98 even though i hate it! I have too, I have two xp cd's but both say they are invalid! I guess because I tried to put them on this computer even though they are both registerd to my other computer, which by the way lie's just feet away in a perpetual coma because i tried to put a fresh copy of xp back on it. I wish I could fix it but I'll porobably have to buy anothger xp cd or worst, i'll have to buy vista.

signed: Doomed as Dommed can be! lol

#10 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:41 AM

XP will work but it'll probably lag.
Best to just stay with 98..2000 is stretching it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users