Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTbackup doesn't work!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Activa

Activa

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:50 PM

After having to sort a nasty virus problem I got a fright and decided it was time to do some backing up, I have never backed up this pc and it's 2 years old now,

I clicked on the backup option in the system tools and nothing, I looked in task manager and the ntbackup.exe was there in the processes.

I have looked in event viewer and there are one or two DCOM errors round about the time I was trying to use the backup facility but nothing directly pointed to ntbackup

I have run sfc /scannow in case some files were damaged by the virus but it asks for a cd with service pack 3 on which of course I haven't got, in fact I don't have any XP discs as XP was preloaded onto the machine

Where do I go from here? I realise I need to start backing up my system and I also need some XP discs incase I ever need to reinstall XP

many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

Hello Activa.

What kind of backup are you looking for here your system files, or data files?

The System Restore already does a good job with system files.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 Activa

Activa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:32 PM

I would like to back up my software and my data, I don't like the fact that there is something not working on the pc that should be working, it also concerns me that I don't have any XP discs!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

You need address...XP install disks. I think that's more important than backing up the system...especially if something goes wrong with the backup process.

Your claim that NT backup "doesn't work" seems...unlikely, little more than an undocumented assertion.

Using NTBackup in XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

WindowsXP Tips, Installing NTBackup on XP Home - http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm

...and there are tons of programs available, other than NTbackup, for data backup.

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:01 AM

I had never been able to get the built in Windows backup tools to work (with the exception of the Vista tools) and resorted to Acronis True Image (~$50 US) for backing up my entire disk. I back up my files using the free SyncBackSE, but have heard that the free Cobian Backup is just as good.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users