Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Adapter Problems; No internet access

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:42 PM

Specs: HP laptop running vista wirelessly to an AT&T modem.
I initally posted this problem in the "Web Browsing..." forum, but after hours of researching the problem, I think I've narrowed it down to a network problem. Here is a quick rundown of my problem:
I've been using Firefox for a few months now and have been dealing with minor problems ever since. I would try to access the internet and after clicking on the icon a few times, a box would pop up showing that it was running and I would have to restart the computer. I finally got tired of that so I decided to uninstall and reinstall Firefox. I haven't learned my lesson about creating a restore point before major changes so I didn't do that. I uninstalled but then had a box show up stating that there was an error and the uninstall did not happen correctly. I ended up using Revo Uninstaller to remove all of Firefox. When I tried to get online to download it, my computer would not connect to the net. I would click on the icon and get the blue windows "spinner", but that would run for a few seconds and nothing happens. So I tried IE and the internet comes up but after a few seconds it shows the page cannot be displayed. It gives the three reasons why, all of which don't apply. I know I'm connected to the net because I have the blue globe, and it shows I'm connected in the Network Center. I can also access an online poker site and update other online programs. I've had a box pop up a few times saying there was an error with Microsoft.net: 80 and I can either quit or continue. I've just been hitting "quit". After some research I've found out that 80 is the port for the internet, and mine could possibly be blocked. I've done all of the virus scans and turned off my firewall, but that didn't help. I've also tried to ping other computers and that fails. I just checked my Network Adapter and here is what I found out:
When I click on that in device manager, it opens up showing six different items. The first is "6to4 Adapter", and the icon has a yellow triangle with ! in it. When I click Properties, it shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". When I click check for solutions, it then shows, "Could not load driver software", and nothing happens. The next two lines are normal and then the last three lines show "isatap. (lots of numbers) and the ! and show the same error as above. So it seems to be some sort of network adapter problem.
This problem happens no matter if I'm on the AT&T modem or my sprint air card. When I'm using wifi at work, it doesn't show that I'm connected, as in, Network Center shows local access only, and a red "X" between my computer and the web.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix network adapters?

Edited by Dborns, 27 November 2008 - 04:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:15 PM

Reinstall the network adapter driver. If you give us the complete model name and model number of the laptop, we can link you to the download page if you like

Edited by garmanma, 27 November 2008 - 07:15 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:26 PM

Hello
Thanks for the help. The info you asked for is HP Pavilion dv6000. The tag on the back shows s/n: CNF6514NGS and p/n RP297UA#ABA.
How will I be able to reinstall the driver if I can't get to the internet to download it? I do have another computer and a couple flash drives if that would work.
I've looked up the "6to4" adapter and a few of the things I've read say that has nothing to do with the tcp4 or something like that. What I have under "Network Adapters" is the 6to4 adapter, three "isatap.(lots of numbers); these four items have the yellow triangle. Then I have two other items that show they are working normal. They are intel pro /100 ve network connection and intel pro/ wireless 3945abg network connection. So now I'm not certain that this is my problem. Any ideas?

Edited by Dborns, 27 November 2008 - 07:34 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:35 PM

6to4 adapter seems to be a fairly common problem that is solved by replacing the driver

The salient point (IMHO) is this: "Microsoft 6to4 Adapter is used for
communication in mixed environment including both IPv4 and IPv6."

*Very* few people are using IPv6 at this point. That will no doubt
change in the future when all the IPv4 addresses are used up, but
right now all the websites you use and all your network apps know
about IPv6, not IPv4. So you're not going to have to worry about IPv6
for quite a while yet.

Are you using XP or Vista? 32 or 64 bit?
A thumb drive will work fine

Edited by garmanma, 27 November 2008 - 09:36 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:06 PM

I'm using 32 bit vista. Did you have the link to the download for the driver?
Thanks for your help!
Dylan

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:37 AM

Network driver:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...093&lang=en
All drivers for your laptop:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=1842155
Mark
Posted Image

#7 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:15 PM

Hello
I'm back at home now working off my home network. I downloaded the driver file you sent me onto a thumb drive. It then downloaded it to the C drive on the laptop. I ran Setup, and it went through the whole setup process. It then showed install was completed and that it was starting the driver. In my device manager, it still shows the yellow triangles next to the four network adapters.
Also, on my home network, in both wifi and ethernet cable, I have the blue globe on the lower right and my Network Center is showing connected. However, when I click on the mozilla icon, nothing happens still. I was playing around and just to see what happened I disabled the Intel Pro/100 ve network connection in the device manager and it totally killed access to the net. So if this isn't a network adapter problem what else could it be? Its just like any icon that connects me to the net won't work. I would try to uninstall and reinstall mozilla again, but its not just that desktop icon. In the Network Center, I can usually get on the net by clicking on the globe in there but that doesn't work either. Is this thing trashed?

#8 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:04 PM

I'm pretty sure now that it is a problem with the shortcut. When I go to "start", and scroll down to mozilla firefox, it opens and shows mozilla firefox and mozilla firefox (safe mode). I happened to click on safe mode and the net came up and works fine. I then clicked on mozilla firefox and the same thing, it comes up with no problems. So those work but the shortcut doesn't.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

Just delete the shortcut, go to the Mozilla folder and right click on it and choose create shortcut for a new one
Mark
Posted Image

#10 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

Hey thanks for the info on my internet problem. I still don't have any idea why it just all of a sudden started working again. I haven't had any problems lately with the shortcut but I'm still having problems with mozilla. I've tried finding info on this problem, but maybe you would be able to help me. My problem is a few times a day, when I try to get online, the blue "windows spinner" shows up for a few seconds and then stops. Two or three more tries makes the computer show that Firefox is already running and that I have to restart the computer or shutdown Firefox. The suggestions I've gotten for the problem are; a virus which I've done scans for and the other items to look for don't apply to my computer; update firefox which I have the latest version; go to task manager and end firefox process, which also doesn't work. Again, I'm running windows vista sp1 with firefox version 3.
Any ideas?

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:12 PM

Are you using any Firefox Add-Ons? If so, remove them and add them back one at a time to see if you can pinpoint the culprit.
you can also uninstall/reinstall Firefox. You shouldn't loose your Bookmarks
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users