Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chayisun

chayisun

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

So, there I am using the computer when, suddenly, it stopped..All by itself.

I stared at the screen, which is really nothing new. I tried the alt, control, delete
and nothing.....I assumed it was having a bad day so I turned it off..And waited while
it re-booted...

When it came back on there it was..A message I had never seen before but it didn't look
good.

It actually was a message that the hard drive had crashed...Died...Gone to hard
drive heaven....

Unfortunately, my Wife happened by, as she always does when something I'm involved in goes wrong, and asked..

What's wong?"

"Well, it appears the computer has died.."

"Died?"

"Yea. It appears the hard drive has given up the ghost, as it were."

"The computer is really an old one. Anyway, I'm glad I suggested
that you back up the hard drive, last week. That was lucky, huh.."

"Yea, that was a good idea...."

"You DID back up the hard drive..."

"Well, not really."

"What do you mean, not really.."

"I sorta forgot."

"Sorta forgot...Now what are you going to do.."

"I have no idea but I did learn something..."

"And that is..."

"ALWAYS listen to your Wife. I mean they ALWAYS know best... Now, can I buy a new computer?"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:07 AM

Hi chayisun,

I'm glad you learned that important message. lol

How old was your harddrive? What was the actual message on the harddrive when it crashed? When it stopped initially, was it frozen at the desktop? Did you get a bluescreen when you next booted up?

Zllio

#3 chayisun

chayisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:55 PM

Sorry for the long delay in getting back.....Well, the hard drive was seven years old. Yep, I got the blue screen of death....
And, I can't remember what the message was...Something along the lines of "WHY DIDN'T YOU BACKUP THE HARD DRIVE AT
LEAST ONCE IN SEVEN YEARS! Oh, wait, that was my Wife....And my Son...And our parrot....

The funeral service for the hard drive was well attended..Well, there was me, my parrot and my Wife who, during the eulogy
kept nattering about backing up the hard drive....The parrot, not my Wife.

So, I was able to buy a new computer. Unfortunately, on my old computer I had some 240 stories I had written...
I like to write. Fotunately, just last month I printed them all off the computer....Unfortunately, I have no idea where
I put them....

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:54 PM

on my old computer I had some 240 stories I had written...
I like to write. Fortunately, just last month I printed them all off the computer..

So you *did* do a backup. :thumbsup:
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 chayisun

chayisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

Geez, I DID a backup..Sorta. Well, after pointing that out to me I told my Wife that I did, indeed, do a backup....She wasn't really impressed.

Seems there were some recipes on there and some other stuff of hers.....That I WAS supposed to print off for her...Something about Christmas
cake.....Oh, well, better get Yahooing, as it were...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users