Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:04 PM
I have a big problem with a computer and hope somebody has some good ideas.
For the past 6 months, the computer blocks. (IE7, Firefox, Office 2000 (replaced by Office 2003 which blocks too!), Java, & LogMeIn (program to access a computer over the Internet)
I decided to try and find the problem this week and I’m already on my 4th reinstall of WinXP! WinXP + updates : OK; CA Security Suite + Updates: OK; LogMeIn: OK (CA Firewall correctly configures for LogMeIn and LogMeInSystray); Office 2000 (or 2003) install + updates: OK. But… when USING Outlook (2000 or 2003) it blocks EVEN IF I AM NOT SENDING AND RECEIVING EMAILS. Once I’ve ‘killed’ it, LogMeIn hits 99% in the CPU. Even if I kill LMI it comes back of it’s own at hits 99% again. If uninstalled (cleanly or violently) other programs go haywire: IE7, Firefox, Outlook Express, Java… the works!
What is even MORE crazy, if I restore my computer (Windows System Restore) to BEFORE the Outlook problem, programs still block!!!
The last time I installed Office 2003 I did NOT Install Outlook, but preferred to try Outlook Express. As soon as I started Excel 2003 things went haywire!
I don’t think it is a Virus/Trojan problem since each time I reinstall Windows I reformat the disk.
Here are the computer specifics: mother board: MSI ; Pentium 4 ; CPU 2.8 GHz ; RAM : 768 Mo ; Hard disk portioned “C”: 38 Go (60% free) + “D”: 37Go (40% free) ; WinXP SP3.
I’m open to any serious suggestions…