Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Problem WinXP + Office 2003

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DamCar

DamCar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

Hi,
I have a big problem with a computer and hope somebody has some good ideas.

For the past 6 months, the computer blocks. (IE7, Firefox, Office 2000 (replaced by Office 2003 which blocks too!), Java, & LogMeIn (program to access a computer over the Internet)

I decided to try and find the problem this week and I’m already on my 4th reinstall of WinXP! WinXP + updates : OK; CA Security Suite + Updates: OK; LogMeIn: OK (CA Firewall correctly configures for LogMeIn and LogMeInSystray); Office 2000 (or 2003) install + updates: OK. But… when USING Outlook (2000 or 2003) it blocks EVEN IF I AM NOT SENDING AND RECEIVING EMAILS. Once I’ve ‘killed’ it, LogMeIn hits 99% in the CPU. Even if I kill LMI it comes back of it’s own at hits 99% again. If uninstalled (cleanly or violently) other programs go haywire: IE7, Firefox, Outlook Express, Java… the works!

What is even MORE crazy, if I restore my computer (Windows System Restore) to BEFORE the Outlook problem, programs still block!!!

The last time I installed Office 2003 I did NOT Install Outlook, but preferred to try Outlook Express. As soon as I started Excel 2003 things went haywire!

I don’t think it is a Virus/Trojan problem since each time I reinstall Windows I reformat the disk.

Here are the computer specifics: mother board: MSI ; Pentium 4 ; CPU 2.8 GHz ; RAM : 768 Mo ; Hard disk portioned “C”: 38 Go (60% free) + “D”: 37Go (40% free) ; WinXP SP3.

I’m open to any serious suggestions…

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:08 PM

Exact wording of error messages?

Have you checked Event Viewer for clues to system problems?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users