Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I replace Adobe Reader with Foxit Reader?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:50 PM

What are your reviews on Foxit Reader?

Small Question: Can Foxit Reader view PDF files inside IE just like Adobe Reader?

Edit:

I was reading one of the reviews in Download.com and the user says:

"Danger: Create a restore point if you have to install!"

by (Name Removed) on November 26, 2008

Pros: Unknown. In order to do anything that Adobe reader doesn't already do - better, you must install other spyware-laden crap.

Cons: Created a toolbar that would not uninstall, even after uninstalling program. Created unasked for shortcuts and entries in favorites.

Does it really do this?

Edited by Lloyd T, 27 November 2008 - 03:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 merzin

merzin

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:00 PM

I have used foxit reader for awhile now and have not had a problem, I love it.. Yes it does open PDF file in IE as well as in Firefox

And the only reason that guy said about the toolbar is because he installed it!! It does not come prepackaged with it!
Amd Phenom 955 @ 3.8ghz
2 gigs OCZ 1333
4 Velociraptor's in Raid 0
2 750 gig HD's in Raid 1
Pc&p 1200 watt
Saphire Tech 4890

#3 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

How about the "you must install other spyware-laden crap" part?

#4 merzin

merzin

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

no you do not have to install anything with it.. Just download it from the foxit site. or download.com and there is no third part stuff on it
Amd Phenom 955 @ 3.8ghz
2 gigs OCZ 1333
4 Velociraptor's in Raid 0
2 750 gig HD's in Raid 1
Pc&p 1200 watt
Saphire Tech 4890

#5 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

How about "Created unasked for shortcuts and entries in favorites"?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,300 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
Foxit gives its users some advanced features included in Foxit Reader for free. For users who check for updates automatically, install Foxit Toolbar, or install free links to eBay, they can get some paid features with no charge. For more details, please see below.....................

Go to the link above and see what they offer. Basically you get a free PDF reader and if you install the Foxit Toolbar and
the links to EBAY you get a couple more tools free that you would otherwise pay for.

It is that simple.

ALWAYS download from the developer's site for any program when it is available. There are many sites that provide downloads that are piggybacked with malware especially the ones that have "cracked" programs.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

Created a toolbar that would not uninstall, even after uninstalling program. Created unasked for shortcuts and entries in favorites.

The problem with most people is when they install things, they don't bother to read anything. They just keep clicking Next
Be honest. When's the last time you read an entire EULA instead of just clicking Agree?
Many programs offer types of installs such as Normal and Custom. If you select Custom, you'll be prompted for everything the program wants to install.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

When's the last time you read an entire EULA instead of just clicking Agree?

The last time I read one was when I installed Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. But that was also the first time.

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:34 PM

Seriously,one would have to be a Lawyer to decifer some of there EULAS. Some are pages long.
Most are user friendly anyway,or they would be out of business.
More importantly, before you click Install,read what your installing,and uncheck the boxes like adding Toolbars,Changing Home Page,etc,unless you really want, all this added crapola. :thumbsup:

#10 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

Well, I did hear about a program that analyzes EULA's. Just copy and paste and it will tell you any interesting stuff in the EULA (like adware and stuff).

#11 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:40 PM

Be honest. When's the last time you read an entire EULA instead of just clicking Agree?

When I was installing 3DS Max 2009 Student version (about 3-4 weeks ago). I was bored in class, so I decided to read it (as well as figure something out, but I could never really figure it out, so I'll have to ask my teacher :thumbsup: )

Edited by scff249, 29 November 2008 - 09:41 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:00 PM

Foxit Reader is a standalone application, that doesn't require installation.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:13 PM

Please clarify. What do you mean "doesn't require installation"?

#14 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:04 PM

Please clarify. What do you mean "doesn't require installation"?

It does not have an installer. It can be either installed as an .exe or it can be downloaded in a .Zip file that does not require installation. It also is not bloated like Adobe Reader is. For more info just Google Foxit Reader.

557851.png

#15 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:06 PM

So does that mean I can just run it directly from the exe file when I download it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users