Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade my HP Media center

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Barny Rubble

Barny Rubble

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

Hi Everyone
I have a HP Pavilion Media Center which is now about 2 years old.
I am looking to upgrade it slightly to allow for better gaming and was wondering about the next step on a limited budget.

I currently have a Core 2 Duo running at 1.87 GHz which I would like to upgrade, but how far can I go without changing the motherboard or the recently changed 400w psu (the old 350w psu died)

I also have a Radeon x1600 graphics card with 512 MB of Video ram. A recent game said I need shader model 3 to work and recommended a Radeon x1900+

Which would be the best option to do next for the least amount of money.

Thanks for any advice.

Barny :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 merzin

merzin

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

Howdy Barney..

The best bag for your buck will always be RAM. But if you have 2 gigs or more then your set..

Next step would be your video card..
But your x1600 has shader 3

Experience state-of-the-art graphics technology and enjoy unparalleled gaming with the most advanced 3D performance technology including a new ultra-threaded 3D architecture, a 256-bit ring-bus memory controller, support for up to 512 MB RAM and Shader Model 3.0 done right. All delivered using the most advance 90 nanometer GPU process.

But depending on your budget this is a great midrangwe card that will play any game out there. Radeon HD 3870
But if budget does not allow that card here is another great (cheap) card Radeon HD 3650

Edited by merzin, 27 November 2008 - 03:55 PM.

Amd Phenom 955 @ 3.8ghz
2 gigs OCZ 1333
4 Velociraptor's in Raid 0
2 750 gig HD's in Raid 1
Pc&p 1200 watt
Saphire Tech 4890

#3 Barny Rubble

Barny Rubble
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:13 PM

Hi Merzin
Yep I already have 2 gig of memory.
I was having trouble working out why my x1600 was out of date because it seems to have everything the game (Far Cry 2) wants.
The processor if the obvious part falling behind big graphic games.
Maybe I need to save up for a few months and update both!
Barny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users