Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem is back with a vengence! Please advise?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#1 manyangels

manyangels

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:16 PM

Well,,, I did the uninstall ov the service pack 3, and it worked like a charm! Then I conected to the internet, and because I had
previously done a system recovery,, all updates were removed. So when I finally got on and conected, the automatic update thing started,, NO I didnt let it do SP3 again,,, but now the computer is going balistic again! So I followed the links to the microsoft help pages, and it seems that now SP2 may
be causing problems. Now my issue once again is that the computer will not run long enough to get the patches???? I did do the registery change as
described in one article at microsoft, where I changed an entry from 1 to 4. It didnt help,, as I cannot keep that computer working long enough to post on it over here, this is what the deradful blue screen shows........

Aproblem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: SRTSP.SYS

It goes on and on about restarting in safe mode,, etc. etc.
Then the technical information:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xA776cc60,0x00000000,0xA7D61E7F,0X00000000)

SRTSP.SYS - Address A7D61E7F base at A7D59000, Datestamp 00000000

At this point I am almost willing to remove all updates, though I have to have sp2 to run my antivirus!!!
Am so angry at microsoft right now,,,, this is a huge headache!
Any more advice would be sooo very appreciated!!!

Thankyou so much to all who are trying to help me!!

manyangels

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:56 PM

sorry to hear of your grief after the apparent success :thumbsup:

related thread for info for those tho read this

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=182080&hl=

#3 manyangels

manyangels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

Thankyou Ruby! I will admit I aint the brightest lightbulb on the tree, and my elevator hardly makes it to the first floor,,, LOL!!
But although I aint too bright about puters,, I dont give up easily!! Yep, I am stubborn. Let me tell what I tried now,,, I decided
that somewhere in the updates, I am getting messed up, or rather my HP is! Anyway I looked for SP3 once more, and it wasnt installed, so after reading all the stuff at microsoft, I thought maybe SP2 was now being the culprit, so I found it in add and remove, tried to uninstall and the puter
rebooted! GRRRRRRR So once again I did a system recovery, and yep its staying on and not rebooting!
At least now I can work with it, and not get booted! I think now, my mission will be to find out for sure,, what is actually
making that puter reboot, before I re install anything! Thanks again Ruby!!!

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:01 AM

lets may be clarify a bit and find a 'starting point' to do some' trouble-shooting' for you :thumbsup:

At this point in time you have SP2 installed? or only SP1 now?

What Antivirus program is installed and what other protection programs are on there?

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:20 AM

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

I don't know anything about the background as your post is starting with uninstalling SP3.

The above BSOD is caused by Norton Driver. As I said my information is limited to your posts about uninstalling SP3 and then getting BSOD. If you are not infected, if there isn't something else you can remove Norton using Norton Removal Tool (uninstalling via Add/Remove is not sufficient). And clean install Norton. That should take care of the above BSOD if there is not something else which corrupt Norton.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:56 AM

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

I don't know anything about the background as your post is starting with uninstalling SP3.

The above BSOD is caused by Norton Driver. As I said my information is limited to your posts about uninstalling SP3 and then getting BSOD. If you are not infected, if there isn't something else you can remove Norton using Norton Removal Tool (uninstalling via Add/Remove is not sufficient). And clean install Norton. That should take care of the above BSOD if there is not something else which corrupt Norton.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182080/hp-amd-messed-up-computer/

In this thread she told of the nightmare of upgrading to sp3 on a unprepared hp amd system, now it seems that another big
glitch was involved, norton's

I urge those interested to read QM7's guide, especiallu Jesper's blog
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:19 AM

I urge those interested to read QM7's guide, especiallu Jesper's blog

to asssist manyangels may we kindly have some links please :thumbsup:

also; I beleive we are trying to establish if the computer IS infected and/or is it merely the Update to SP3 that caused the massive glitch

If we ARE dealing with a Norton product, this adds another dimension to the equation :flowers:

and for manyangels info ( and mine!!)

http://www.greatis.com/appdata/a/s/srtsp.sys.htm

srtsp.sys
Srtsp.sys is a driver related to Symantec antiviral software.
Manufacturer: Symantec Corp.
www.symantec.com

IS it infected or is there a clash maybe with products on the computer?

Of interest, by what method does the computer connect to the internet ( who is the ISP ?)

#8 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,708 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

Thanks DaChew for updating me.

There has been some reports of conflict between Norton and SP3:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=13122

Knowing the problem started after updating to SP3 and given that sp3 in uninstalled, I would uninstall and clean install Norton.

To remove Norton download and run the Norton Removal Tool.

Warning: The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer. If you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases before you proceed.

After that remove also all temporary files using Windows Disk Cleanup or ATF Cleaner or CCleander.

Then reinstall Norton. Before reinstalling Norton disconnect computer from internet for security reasons and work with it a while to see if uninstalling Norton has any effect on the system.

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:42 AM

After that remove also all temporary files using Windows Disk Cleanup or ATF Cleaner or CCleander.

directions are

ATF cleaner

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your Desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

• If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

If the problem IS Norton then the phrase 'dear Norton strikes again' comes to mind :thumbsup:

HOWEVER, it still must be born in mind that an infection has not yet been excluded from the equation,especially if Norton HAS been conflicting with on board programs and NOT doing its proper job of protecting the computer

#10 manyangels

manyangels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

Thankyou yet again for all these efforts to help this old lady! Here is where I am at now.
Frustration comes to mind first! LOL

I did do research last night, and also discovered that Norton was the culprit. I also did some reading that sp2 could also cause havoc for
some HP Amd users. Now when My computer was working well,, ohhhh about 5 months ago, SP2 was installed and all was working great!
At this time,, I was using mcafee, because it was supplied free from my isp. I Am using Qwest internet, DSL as thats the best priced
and quickest here where I live. This all started when I blindly trusted the microsoft updates, and downloaded and installed SP3. Then all went
Kaboom!!!! I then screamed to you all for help(tytytyty). I removed SP3, And all seemed fine, MY isp no longer provides mcafee, they
provide the windows one care thing, with a anti virus, and I hated the anti virus. I have access to other anti viruses, and stupid me figured Norton was
a good one,, NOT! Ok anyway, then last night I did another system recovery, which cleans it all up,, and BOOM I am up and runing
again. I have not conected to the internet yet, except to get another antivirus. I have not done any updates(fear comes to mind here).
Though I do know that I at the very least have to have back SP2. As I read here, I am thinking of using totally different tools and utilities on that computer.
I now have a copy of "Bitdefender total security" downloaded to that computer, but as yet I havent installed it.

As I re read what I have told you all now, I need to add, that the first time I did a system restore, SP2 was removed at that time, so I
updated again, not geting the sp3. Norton said that it needed SP2 to work properly, and this is why I am wondering, that possibly
Norton anti virus 2009 and SP2 do not play well togeather. Ok, so anyway,, all that is yet again removed, no installed antivirus as yet,
no updated from microsoft, and the computer is not conected to the internet, and is now puurrrrrring away, with no rebooting!! But I am very very
afraid to update it, and connect it!!!!

#11 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:07 PM

So, to clarify; Norton has been removed, you have stopped using Macaffee and disabled it?
You now have SP2 installed

I have not connected to the internet yet, except to get another antivirus.

which program have you chosen?

Bitdefender total security??

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

So far we seem to be progressing but at some stage you will , I suggest, need to get brave and do some scans to see if you ARE clean from malaware

#12 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,708 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:37 PM

How did you remove/uninstall Norton ?

#13 manyangels

manyangels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:37 PM

I'm sorry Ruby! Yes, Norton is removed, as is Mcafee,,, Any yes it is Bit defender total security2009.
SP2 was removed when I did the system recovery, so now I have to some way get SP2 re downloaded,
and installed so that I can install Bitdefender. Not to worry, when I figure out how to get ONLY SP2
downloaded and installed, I will indeed run all the scans I can or that you all recomend! Thankyou
so much for sticking with me, and my not so smart ways!!!

#14 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,708 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:42 PM

Sorry to ask the same question twice, I think our post crossed each other. How did you remove Norton ? And if you still had McAfee how did you remove it?

#15 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:46 PM

Norton is removed

How did you remove/uninstall Norton ?

Could you kindly answer this question from farbar as Norton tends to be rather NON removable :trumpet: unless the appropriate correct removal tools are used on it :thumbsup:

( appologies; I seem to have 'crossed posts' with Farbar :flowers: )

Edited by ruby1, 28 November 2008 - 01:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users