Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bits - urlmon.dll

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 G. Tenorio

G. Tenorio

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hi,

Two months ago, I bougth a HP Pavilion with preinstalled Windows Vista Home Premium-64 bits.

Last week, I installed Panda antivirus. The next day, the antivirus displayed a message saying that it had found a malware in the "urlmon.dll" file and that it was deleted and that the computer had to be reseted. When Windows restarted, it displayed several error messages, one said that the Side Bar couldn't be opened because it didn't find the "urlmon.dll" file. Some other applications stoped working, like: Windows Explorer, Control Panel, Bluetooth, and others.

I called Microsoft and they told me that the only way to restore the file without having to restore the computer to the factory settings, was to obtain a Windows Vista Home Premium installation disc, but I won't pay for the whole operating system just use the first disk to restore one file. They also told me that since the operating system was preinstalled in the computer, the manufacturer has to give me technical support, that in this case is HP.

I also called HP and they gave me instructions, but they were for Windows XP. Later, they told me that I have to resotore the computer to the factory settings.

I also called my ISP technical support (Prodigy), because the antivirus that I installed, they give it for free for their subscribers. They told me that HP has to give me technical support.

I have been searching in the internet for a solution, but most of the information is for XP and is about 3 or 4 years old. I also tried to find the file in the internet, but there are only downloads for XP or lower versions of Windows, but also I'm affraid to get my computer a virus if I download the file.

Is there anybody who knows how could I fix this problem without having to restore the computer to the factory settings?

Thank you, very much. Regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 merzin

merzin

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:36 PM

can you boot into Vista anymore? If so you can download URLman.dll and add it to the system 32 folder
Another way is to uninstall Internet explorer and reinstall it through add/remove programs..Remove windows components.
Amd Phenom 955 @ 3.8ghz
2 gigs OCZ 1333
4 Velociraptor's in Raid 0
2 750 gig HD's in Raid 1
Pc&p 1200 watt
Saphire Tech 4890

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:17 PM

Go to Start and type in SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and press Enter. That may replace the urlmon.dll file with a copy from the system backup.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 G. Tenorio

G. Tenorio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:04 PM

can you boot into Vista anymore? If so you can download URLman.dll and add it to the system 32 folder
Another way is to uninstall Internet explorer and reinstall it through add/remove programs..Remove windows components.

merzin, thank for replay.

Vista stills working, some things keep working too, but not Control Panel, nor Windows Explorer, for example. I'll try to follow your suggestion this night when I get home and I'll let you know what happen.

Thank you very much.

#5 G. Tenorio

G. Tenorio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

Go to Start and type in SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and press Enter. That may replace the urlmon.dll file with a copy from the system backup.

usasma, thank you for answering.

I'll try to do it tonight when I get home and I'll let you know what happens.

Thank you very much.

Edited by G. Tenorio, 27 November 2008 - 05:07 PM.

#6 G. Tenorio

G. Tenorio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:40 AM

Hi merzin and usasma,

1. merzin's suggestion:
I tried to download the file from the URL you sent me, but since it is compressed (zip), I couldn't decompress it 'cause that function is not working on the computer. I downloaded some of the scan programs that check the system problems, but those programs (RegistryFix, Registry Booster, etc.) don't work with Windows Vista 64-bits, so I suppose that that "urlmon.dll" file is not for Windows Vista 64-bits, neither. Anyway, I will download it and unzip it tomorrow at work and bring the uncompressed file at home to try it.

About your second suggestion, I cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 'cause the Control Panel doesn't work. Do you know if there's another way to uninstall it?

2. usasma's suggestion:
When I try to run SFC from Start, I get the message "You should be an administrator with an active console in order to use SFC". I get the same message if I run it from the DOS symbol.

Another thing I did tonight, was to search for the file in the backup factory image that comes with the computer, so I could copy the "urlmon.dll" file and copy it to System32. I succeeded to open the factory image, but I didn't find the dll file in any of the directories, I also looked for it into the System32 directory from that factory image.

Thank you guys for taking the time to try to help me.

Edited by G. Tenorio, 28 November 2008 - 01:42 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:56 PM

Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)
At the top of the search box will be a listing for CMD.EXE. Right click on it and select "Run as administrator"
Type "sfc.exe /scannow" (without the quotes) into the black window that opens and press Enter.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users