Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect Three Locations with static IPs! What do I need to do? and HOW ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Leetec

Leetec

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:50 PM

Hi everyone

I have a problem. I need to connect three locations with static IP so that I can share files and printers between them. Can It be done without any super fancy equipment? Could I just buy three Netgear firewall VPN routers and somehow point them to one central location.?

My idea was to have Location A as File server hosting site. then have Location B and Location C to point to Location A But also be connected to each other.

Thanks

Chi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

Could you please clarify a bit what geographical area we're talking about?

I assume that you want these PC's in three different areas on seperate networks over internet. If this is the case, you'll want to
speak to you Service Provider and ask for a business rate and request static IP addresses. It would be helpful if you were using
VPN devices, or at least basic hardware firewalls behind each modem for security.

This is the easiest solution to implement. There are other that save money while maintaining security, but they require much more
knowledge of networking technologies.

Hope this helps

Cheers

#3 Leetec

Leetec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:53 PM

O sorry for the limited info. Here's what I have I have three locations with each location has cable static IPs. I would like to use the three netgear fvs338 vpn firewall router to connect them. I would like to some how setup the VPN.

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:55 AM

So, I'm familiar with doing the direct connection with two VPN devices, and I suspect that you can do it with a third easily enough as if it were another client
of the primary VPN host. If this is not the case, you'll want to download the Netgear Software VPN Client for one of the PC's

Find it here:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Software/V...are/VPN01L.aspx

The other FVS318 could be directly connected.

I don't know the specifics of going in through one router and going back through another gateway/VPN device but I'm sure it can be done.
You could also use the software client to connect to either device, But it sounds like you want a consistent connection?

You may be able to find specifics on what you're looking for at Smallnetbuilder.com

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users