Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new user accounts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spickett

spickett

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:44 PM

I have set up new standard user accounts for my kids but when trying to log on to any one of them, I get a totally blank desktop. I also tried setting the accounts up in safe mode with the same result. What is the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:21 PM

It sounds like the Accounts are corrupted or the processes involved in logon are not doing their job.

Attempt to logon as one of the standard accounts and once the desktop is there, Ctrl + Alt + Del

click task manager, end explorer.exe if it's running and then go File>New Task and type explorer.exe and click ok, let us know if that works.

Thanks

#3 spickett

spickett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the fast reply. I tried this to no avail. When using the task manager (after log on to the new accounts) explorer.exe is not running. The only processes running (listed in task manager) are: csrss.exe, dwm.exe, taskmgr.exe, and winlogon.exe. When I typed explorer.exe as a New Task, the explorer.exe popped up (was listed) for about 1 second and then disappeared again. I tried this on all 3 new accounts. Any other ideas?
Thanks so much!!

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:40 AM

Delete the new users that you created.

Go to control panel: Administrative Tools: Computer Management: Local Users and Groups.

Right Click "Users" and click " New User" create the account without a password and leave the
"Disabled" option unchecked.

Try to access these accounts now.

#5 spickett

spickett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:11 PM

I have done all of the above up to going to "Computer Management" in the control panel. I do not see a "Users and Groups" category here to choose from.

#6 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:37 AM

Do the following

Windows Logo Key + R

Type MMC in the run dialog box

That will bring up the Microsoft management console

CTRL + M to add a snap in

And Choose Computer management. Click the extensions tab and verify that users and groups show up,

click ok and go into Users and Groups to add the users. Remember that you have to click the plus next to
System Tools in order to view this applet.

Good luck

#7 spickett

spickett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

Hi again - I just returned to this problem and had someone help me get into the Computer Management console. We were able to follow all your instructions, however there was no " users and groups" in the "extensions" tab (or button). So, when we go to "System Tools" and click the arrow to open it up we have only
Task Scheduler
Event Viewer
Shared Folders
Reliability...
Device Manager

Any other ideas on what to try next?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users