Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor @ 100%

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie77

Charlie77

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:09 PM

My PC seems to sit at 100% CPU usage for long periods of time. Internet Explorere seems to be the biggest memory user by far when I look at Widnows Task Mgr. I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with 1GB RAM. I recently ran SpyBot and cleared 43 spyware/adware offenders and have scheduled this to run regularly; very good program. I also use regularly run McAfee firewall, viruscan, etc. plus Windows Defender and MS Windows security suite. If necessary, I can run Hijack this for diagnostic purposes. I have just received two x 1GB RAM cards I can install; do you think the additional RAM will solve this issue? Thanks much for any advice.
Charlie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 merzin

merzin

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:37 PM

Howdy charlie,
No another gig of ram will not solve your cpu usage problem.. As it is not taking any ram just your cpu cycles. Bring back up the task manager and end Internet explorer..Then restart it.. Does this help?
Amd Phenom 955 @ 3.8ghz
2 gigs OCZ 1333
4 Velociraptor's in Raid 0
2 750 gig HD's in Raid 1
Pc&p 1200 watt
Saphire Tech 4890

#3 Charlie77

Charlie77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:27 PM

Hi Merzin. Yes, doing what you suggested reduces cpu usage to between 5 - 20%. However, it generally increases eventually to 100% if I keep IE activated.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:34 AM

What is a "long period of time"?

CPU usage is supposed to increase when a program is running, although it normally does not increase to 100% unless something like video rendering is involved.

Louis

#5 Charlie77

Charlie77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

Oddly enough, the system has been better lately...cpu usage between 2 - 21%, even with several instances of IE open. Tough to explain; I'll keep an eye on it and update you again. Many thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users