Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-loading windows XP professional in a Dell Inspiron

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jennyandernie

jennyandernie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:19 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 the operating system is Windows XP professional and there are two physical drives; C and D.

I have tried to do a system restore but the message I get is that the recovery tool has detected an unsupported change in the master boot record and cannot run. It says do not manually shut down but click the FINISH button. However if I do this then the system just repeats the operation of trying to restore and I get the same message. So I have had to manually shut down.

I have tried to run both the CDs that came with the computer with a view to reformatting the C drive and re-loading Windows XP. However the windows program has detected that the C drive has 4 partitions:

-: partition1 [FAT] 94MB
E: partition2 [NTFS] 108949MB
G: partition4 (media direct) [FAT32] 2047MB
C: partition3 [FAT32] 3381MB

I suspect that by delating one of the partitions the computer will boot directly from the C drive as normal.
Which if any of these should I delete? I am not bothered about having a restore partition or media direct. I would if possible prefer one complete C drive.
There is in addition the D drive which is NTFS and 114471MB

The second CD has a number of programs on it but when run is just a hardware diagnostics disk.

I would be very grateful for any help you can give me.

Jenny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

Look for the drive that has the Windows directory on it. That will be the drive that you want to install Windows onto. Make a note of the particulars about the partition as sometimes the letters will change during the installation.

Next, backup anything you don't want to lose from the partition with the Windows directory on it.

Next, insert the Operating System CD into the drive and reboot. Press F12 as soon as the Dell logo shows up.
Select the CD drive to boot from and let it run. At one point it'll ask you which partition you want to install Windows on - just tell it which one and let Windows do the rest on it's own. Deleting a partition just isn't a good idea.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jennyandernie

jennyandernie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:29 AM

Thanks for the advice. I re-loaded windows as suggested then when I re-booted there was a dual boot option; either Windows XP or an unknown operating system. The windows XP worked fine so I tried the previous "unknown system" which restored the original software which came with the computer.

All went well except there were drivers missing for VGA, sound and bluetooth. The drivers for Sound and VGA I downloaded from Dell but the bluetooth drivers I had to find on the web as the bluetooth drivers on the Dell site for the Inspiron series were for Vista only.

All working okay now.

Jenny

Edited by jennyandernie, 29 November 2008 - 03:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users