Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Spyware Scanners?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 punkstuart

punkstuart

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:39 AM

Hi,
I'm working on a Windows 95 machine at work. I'm trying to remove all the spyware as it is being ridden with pop ups. I tried installing Ad-Aware 6.0 but it's not compatible with windows 95. Spybot S&D was able to install and it removed a lot of spyware but i would like that computer clean. Is there any other Spyware/Adware Scanners that will work on a Windows 95 machine? I would like a program that will clean up remains and do really deep scanning. Thanks in advance. -Stuart

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 06 August 2004 - 09:33 AM

Good question.

Have a look here:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-s...htm#trustworthy

That page links to an extensive list of legitimate anti-spyware and other security tools found here:
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/soft6.htm

95 is rapidly approaching end of life if not already there, so you have a challenge ahead of you. To get it completely clean will probably require having someone look at a HijackThis log. Another free alternative is Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner. This is a scanner only, similar to HijackThis. Once malware is found you can visit the Kephyr webite for manual removal instructions.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#3 punkstuart

punkstuart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 09:39 AM

Thanks very much papakid. I actually did try Hijack This and it doesn't run on Windows 95. If it was my computer I would have tossed it out the window a long time ago. I'm going to go try your sudgestion right now. -Stuart

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:00 PM

Heres one called:spysubtract. Dont have a link but i think it works on 95.

#5 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:39 PM

Boclean is great, small, auto updates and gets cool web search among others. At another forum a PC tec wanted a proggie to clean a customers computer that was a real mess. He tried Boclean and it cleaned it up. Its $39 at the company website. A member found it for $26.01 online. I thought I'd give it a try, had it 3 weeks now and I'm very pleased. No I don't work for the company............................

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...5383&pfp=BROWSE

#6 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:45 PM

Just looked a starting post again.......Boclean is an anti trojan......don't know how it works on adds ect. you could go to their site and check what it catches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users