Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tabs and registry keys missing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Zee_Jay

Zee_Jay

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:03 PM

Good day everyone, i've been trying to get help on how to fix this issue with my computer but has not got any good luck with it yet. hope i have come to the right place this time. =(

i just performed a complete system recovery on my computer a few days ago. started the computer, installed windows xp sp2 and sp3, went to the microsoft donwload center to get my updates and also got all my extras like, java, flash player, shockwave and direct x among many other updates. i also scan my computer with secunia just to make sure i had everything installed on my pc. well... about a day or so later... i started noticing that my computer was working kinda slow. didnt pay much attention at that moment but today and also last night i come up with the conclusion that something is very wrong with it.

sometimes i dowload stuff from the net (legal stuff) that comes in zip or winrar files. before doing the system recovery it used to take about a minute to extract a 50 mb file. now it takes about 5 to 10 minutes to do so. i also have problems with opening programs and working on them. the same happens opening new windows.

i have a external hard drive. at first i thought that it was possible that i had the write behind disck cache disable and that could be the possible reazon for the computer to be so slow (i heard that the pc slows down when this is desable)

well... i went to check if this was desable and to my surprise, the policies tab was missing. to make sure i did it right, this how i try to access the policies tab.

start+right clik on my computer+properties+hardware+device manager+expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controlers+right click on my HDD Device+ Right Click On It= NO POLICIES TAB.

right after this. i opened the registry editor, and locate this registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\POLICIES. and well... i was expecting to find a few more than one key but there was only two and there wasnt the one i was hopping for to find. ComDlg32 and Explorer were the only two keys there for this part of the registry. so now... im completelly lost about what to do to fix this.

one last thing to mention is that im almos sure that is not virus related. i have AVAST installed on my computer, scanned often with it. i also have scanned my pc with hijackthis and there was nothing there that make believe that it is virus related.

here are my system specifications.
HP Pavillion Desktop 754 N
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition With SP3
Intel Pentium 4, CPU 2.53 GHz
1 Gig of Memory installed

not that many programs installed yet.

any suggestions would be of great help, thank you all in advance!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

Have you checked Device Manager to ensure that your device drivers are installed? Go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Have you scanned for viruses/malware?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users