Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Computer keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 carinsharon

carinsharon

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:24 AM

This is a new motherboard, cpu, memory and drive. It was working previously with 2GB of Ram. It came with 4GB Ram but one of them was bad so they sent 2 new ones and we sent them back the bad ones. Put the new RAM in and computer started up ok for just a few minutes and then it started rebooting on its own. It will get as far as the windows start up screen then reboots. Before the windows start up screen pops up we get a blue screen with writing but it flashes on and off so fast we can't tell what it says.

When rebooting we get a good solid single beep and if we go into CMOS it shows that the memory is there and that it is working. What can be causing the problem? Could it be a conflict with the memory and motherboard?

Any help you can give us would sure be appreciated.

CarinSharon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

I would remove the new RAM and see if the problem continues What brand did you buy and are you positive it's compatible?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:02 PM

Disable automatic restart, to do that:
  • During the rebooting process, repeatedly press the F8 key to enter Windows Advance Options Menu.
  • Use the up and down arrow keys to select Disable automatic restart on system failure and then press the Enter key.
  • Use up and down arrow keys to select the operating system to start (if more than one OS is installed).
  • Press the Enter key.
  • Windows should start. Now if you get an error note the error.

Edited by farbar, 27 November 2008 - 06:04 PM.

#4 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:21 PM

Not sure if the RAM is compatible or not. It came in a bundle package. The motherboard is an ASUS M2N-SLI....

The RAM is Corsair XMS2 xtreme performance DDR2 memory...There is 2 sticks of 2GB RAM.

CarinSharon

#5 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

Will try disabling the restart and see what we can come up with and will let you know if we get any errors.

Thanks for the help,

CarinSharon

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:43 PM

Try booting with just one stick of RAM. Some motherboards have issues with 4gB at boot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:56 PM

Nice new avatar usasma. :thumbsup:

I would follow the advise give by usasma, however as I am curious I would like to see the error, but I understand if you just neglect it and do whatever needed to resolve the problem.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

Thanks, I took it while sitting in the saddle - I could tell that it wasn't too happy with my presence. :thumbsup:

As for the RAM, I've seen a lot of these sort of issues over the last 6 months or so. Most of the problems relate to 4 gB of RAM with all slots populated, but we have seen a few that have issues with 2 gB sticks (something to do with dual channel being unable to handle them both.

If it works again with only the one 2 gB stick - then that's likely to be the issue. Googling the board and RAM shows a lot of problems that were solved by decreasing the voltage that's supplied to the RAM.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

When continually hitting F8 key it takes us into the boot menu and there is no place to disable. Whenever we select an option to see if it will give us an option to change things it just auto takes us into boot.

We still get a blue screen with writing but flashes on and off so fast that we can't read it.

CarinSharon

#10 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,716 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for trying. Obviously you are not able to Safe Mode most probably due to the reason usasma described.

Edited by farbar, 27 November 2008 - 08:34 PM.

#11 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

When we first put the computer together we had problems with the memory. One of the sticks was bad. So they sent us another set as they came 2 GB (2 sticks) to the set. At that time we could use the one good stick and was able to load windows and my programs. BUT, When the RAM arrived we sent the first two back via UPS and installed the new RAM. Then we started having the rebooting problem.

My husband said if he knew what the voltage was supposed to be he would try that...Outside of that he has tried everything he can think of to try. Guess he will try calling ASUS tomorrow and see if there is a compatability problem or something else that is causing this.

Thanks everyone for the help. Wish we could get this figured out and my computer back up and running.

CarinSharon

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:15 AM

Has he tried running Memtest on the RAM?

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users