Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Parental Control

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Craigs6124

Craigs6124

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:02 AM

Hello all

I have discovered that the web restrictions I set up on my 5 year old son's account aren't working at all. He only goes on the BBC cbeebies website at the moment, and I set the controls to "Only allow websites which are on the allowed list", and only added the cbeebies address to the list, but it is still possible to browse anywhere. I then tried "Block web content automatically", and set this to high, but it still allows me to browse to exactly the sort of website I don't want my 5 year old to see.

As an experiement, I set the "Can (name) play games", to "No", and tried opening Solitaire, but this part of the parental controls IS working, because it wouldn't allow this.

Also, activity reporting is set to "On", but when I check the activity report, both the "Top 10 Websites Visited" and "Most Recent 10 Websites Blocked" are completely blank, even though I have browsed many websites in an attempt to get them blocked, when using his account.

Please help

Thanks, Craig

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:08 PM

I don't use it so I really don't know. I just wanted to provide you with a link so you could double-check the procedure and your settings
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/products/family/vista.mspx
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:09 PM

hi,,, you need something more substantial than P.C in a web browser,,, there are always ways around these and some times the browser goes nips up and resets to default,, etc,, i installed a program called "Norman Parental Control" on my 11 year old's pc,,, you have to pay for it but its excelent and adjustable as she gets older,,, i downloaded it plus payed for the discs to be sent as well,,,, also be very carefull of kids sites and kids games sites, as these are targeted by all the numptys who put all the bad sh,t on the tinterweb,,, even cbeebes gets hit and kids click on it before the site admin can remove the nasties,,,,,
http://www.norman.com/Product/Home_Home_of...rental_control/
good luck.

Edited by figgis41, 28 November 2008 - 05:10 PM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 Craigs6124

Craigs6124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:36 AM

Thanks fellas

I tried the link you gave me Mark, but still no luck. I even tried creating a new admin account, and then a new user account from this, but its still the same. But thanks anyway.

Thanks Figgis for the "Norman" software info. I think I will get this. As you say Vista PC doesn't seem to be very substantial. I have found more info on the web, written by kids, about how to hack Vista PC, than how to get it to work!!!

I am wondering if my Spyware Doctor antivirus is somehow masking Vista PC from seeing the (content of the) websites being accessed? Anyone know if this is possible?

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:47 PM

hi,,, switch it off and try,,, not for long though,,, if so and if it was free then bin it and try avast free,, its very good,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 Craigs6124

Craigs6124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

I didn't think of that! But, tried it, and still no good. I think the "Norman" option will be best. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users