Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First language?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_Irwin

Steve_Irwin

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:21 AM

Hi all,
I have a C programming e book, and wondered if C was a good beginning language? I have no past experience with programming, and I heard from a friend that I should learn C if I was interested in being a software engineer since every driver is coded in C and it's the fastest language. Thanks for answering :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:21 AM

In my personal opinion, yes, C is a good language to begin with. Often people start with things like Java/PHP (I myself started with Java). However, because these languages "do a lot for you", often the programmer doesn't understand everything that is going on behind the scenes, and therefore can be in trouble when unexpected problems occur with their code or program. Learning C first forces you to learn a lot about how computers work and how to work with them to make efficient, robust programs.

I'm sure others will disagree, but I think it is well worth the effort of learning C and then moving on to Java, PHP, C++ or whatever area you want to move into.

Hope that helps.
Trained at the What The Tech Classroom where you too could learn to help others.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

C is a good beginning language IF == and this is a big IF -- You are prepared to deal with a steep learning curve.

Agree with JP on this :thumbsup:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 magman68classic

magman68classic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:11 PM

I started with C++
I graduated HS in 2006 and at my college (U of Michigan), the CIS intro classes are C++

#5 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:39 PM

Can I have a compilier for C? I am going to try and learn it on my own, that or a way to run it in command prompt, such as a file extension on a notepad document + a batch file?
If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

C is a good language to learn.

it's the fastest language.

Can I ask what makes you think that?
Regards,

Alan.

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:47 PM

C is a good language to learn.

it's the fastest language.

Can I ask what makes you think that?

Because C gives you access to raw ram addresses and pointers while other languages do not.

EDIT: While it's not the fastest it's the fastest in modern use. (Asm is faster...)

Billy3

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 09 December 2008 - 06:48 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:04 PM

I was thinking of ASM.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic