Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive unable to boot, but fully accessible when used as external

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 xunkn0vvnx

xunkn0vvnx

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

Here is my situation - PC running Windows XP Professional.

My friends sends me a link which eventually leads to it being a trojan horse that infects my computer. It completely takes over, disabling all my anti virus, not allowing me to run or install any type of anti virus, and even blocking websites that offer virus removal help (re-routing of IP). In an effort to fix my computer, I used the windows CD and tried to use the repair and recovery mode to reinstall windows. Now the computer just hangs and nothing can be done.

The good thing is that I can still access my harddrive as an external on another computer via sata usb cables. My question is whether there is a way for me to try and fix the boot and startup files on my computer so that I can salvage my computer and fix it the right way? Thanks so much and happy thanksgiving!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xunkn0vvnx

xunkn0vvnx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:39 PM

Has anybody used the ultimate boot cd?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:40 AM

If you cannot boot up in Normal or Safe mode, you may be able to use a Windows XP bootable Floppy Disk to boot from a diskette instead of your hard drive. If your hard drive's boot sector or Windows' basic boot files have been corrupted, this disk will circumvent the problem and boot you into Windows. If you don't have an emergency boot floppy, you may be able to use one created on another PC running Windows XP but there's no guarantee that it will boot your machine.

"Resolving Boot Issues with a Boot Floppy Disk".
"How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks" and select the download that's appropriate for your Operating System. The Setup boot disks are available so that you can run the Setup program on computers that cannot use a bootable CD-ROM.

Another option is to create a Bootable CD:
Bootable CD FAQs
How To Boot your Computer from a Bootable CD or DVD
How to Create a Bootable Windows XP Setup Disk on a Preinstalled/Preloaded Windows System
Creating A Windows XP Recovery Console CD Image

However, the better course of action would be to reformat and reinstall the OS. Some types of malware can result in a system so badly damaged that a Repair Install may NOT help!. Reinstalling Windows without first wiping the entire hard drive with a repartition and/or format will not remove the infection. The reinstall will only overwrite the Windows files. Any malware on the system will still be there afterwards. Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS removes everything and is the safest action. Please read:

"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"
"Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?"
"Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?"
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:41 AM

You appear to have an open HJT thread
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=182944&hl=

so the Mods need to close this one to avoid confusion

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:01 AM

Since you were able to boot up and post a log, you can disregard my previous instructions.

After posting a log, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please PM me or another moderator and we will re-open this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users