Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How many wireless devices on a wireless router?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:29 PM

I have a wireless router in which I use some wired connections but I have reached the point where I am about to exceed the four available ports. The router is a Linksys WRT150N wireless N, four port router. I have connected to the wired ports, my desktop PC and a pair of drives in a NAS enclosure. I have connect wireless my wife's laptop and her Wii Fit game console. The cable modem has its own port beyond the four.

I want to add (shortly) a wireless network printer and a Windows Media Center Extender and a wireless video camera (security camera). How many devices can I route wireless over this 4 port router. Clearly, I am limited to 4 wired devices but I could expand this with a wired switch. But, can I have all four wired ports occupied and still connect several wireless devices. Is there a limit to the number of wireless devices (beyond the bandwidth problem) or is the 4 port router limited to 4 devices in total regardless of how they are connected.

Regardless of the answer to the above, how do I expand my wireless network to more (wireless) capacity. With a media Center Extender transmitting HD video, there is not a lot of surplus bandwidth. Can I add (for example) an additional wireless switch/hub/router or whatever in a daisy-chained configuration similar to what I would do in a wired network?

I am rapidly getting beyond my rather basic understanding of wireless networking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:47 AM

Hi Chimo79,

You should enable wireless on your linksys first. Then you can add upto 254 devices to it . As four already connected to it already you can use the rest 250 wireless. But the bandwidth is issue. Anyways I dont think that you add those many devices.

Once you enable wireless on you router you can attach all the devices wireless. To do this get the router home via browser
192.168.1.1(default). usename: (blank) password:admin

Enable the setting there for wireless.

Cheers.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#3 chimo79

chimo79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

Thanks so much sreez. I was uncertain if the router had a limitation on the number of wireless devices that meant four devices total (wired and wireless). If I understand you, I can connect four wired devices and any one of those could be a daisy-chain to additional ports through a hub. In addition, I can also have up to 256 wireless devices on the router.

Actually, I think that may be much more limited since the IP address range of the DHCP server in the router is confined to a range of 50 IPs if I remember correctly. In either case, that is more than enough for my purposes. I will just keep adding until I start to see bandwidth problems. My greatest worry is the Media Center Extender which may eat bandwidth with HD video.

#4 Paul Beesley

Paul Beesley

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:16 PM

So long as the signal is strong, you should be able to stream HD video alright over 11n. Since the bandwidth is shared between devices, a large load might cause problems but the MCE should use 5mbps max when streaming HD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users