Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with locking computer after virus :P

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ms1405

ms1405

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

Hey guys,
So I got this virus a few weeks ago and it was pretty bad :flowers: But thanks to this site I actually got rid of it and now my computer is running faster than ever. However, somewhere in the process of cleaning my computer my settings for locking my computer, which i do often, were changed. I did not (intentionally) change any vital system settings.
Before, when I used to press the "Lock Computer" button, my computer would simply open a prompt for my username and password. My desktop background would still be visible and none of my computer's settings would change. Now, it takes me to the Windows Log On Screen. Although it doesn't close the programs i have open, it does take longer to load and resets the brightness of my computer (possibly other settings too). This is annoying and looks worse, considering my sweet background picture is replaced with lame Windows logos :thumbsup:
I have a Sony Vaio with XP Pro (version 2002) SP3 and don't have any crazy tech software that would place constraints on my computer's settings (if that's even relevant).

Thanks a LOT for any advice hereby given,
Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

Are you locking the computer using a keyboard button?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ms1405

ms1405
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:03 PM

No. Just the quick launch icon (which i have verified the address of). So the same button i've always been using...

#4 ms1405

ms1405
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:39 PM

Anyone?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:17 AM

Right click on the Lock Computer icon and post a screenshot of the General tab (if it's a program there) - or of the Shortcut tab (if it's a shortcut there).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ms1405

ms1405
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:14 PM

Ok here are the screenshots...

I attached one of each tab :)

Attached Files

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

This looks OK to me. What happens when you press the Windows key and the "L" key at the same time?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 ms1405

ms1405
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:49 PM

The same thing as I stated above. I tried that as soon as my shortcut seemed to stop working (because before I had the problem I used to use the shortcut Win+L too).

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:52 PM

Try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog. Have your XP disk handy for when it asks for it.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

#10 ms1405

ms1405
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

I don't have my XP disc :thumbsup: My computer's almost 4 years old now and I'm not the most organized person lol. I have run a number of registry, anti-virus, anti-spyware programs that have returned NOTHING. Will running SFC scan still be beneficial if i don't have my disc?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:09 PM

Don't use the registry cleaners! They can cause more harm than good - there's lot's of documentation for this if you're interested.

It can't hurt to run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW Worst case is that it'll ask for your disk and you'll have to skip that file. The number of things that you'll have to skip will reveal how many files need replacing.

#12 ms1405

ms1405
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:20 PM

The SFC.EXE scan didn't accomplish anything...

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

What did it do? Did it prompt for your disk? If it just ran and closed, then it was successful. If you still can't lock the computer, then we'll have to move on to a repair install of Windows.

#14 ms1405

ms1405
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:20 PM

No the scan just ran and closed. And (to usasma) I can lock my computer, it just doesn't save all of the settings that it used to.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users