Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading RAM on dated XP SP2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kdavidk

kdavidk

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:05 PM

Microsoft XP SP2
Home Ed.
Intel Pentium 4,
2.4GHz
512MB RAM

Hi, I want to add RAM to my computer and I'm just wondering how to go about doing it and if for example if I added 1GB at least would it (first of all) be compatible with the system I have and secondly worth it?

Thanks
kdavidk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:21 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 kdavidk

kdavidk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:48 AM

DELL, DIMENSION 4600

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:36 AM

According to crucial.com, http://crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?mo...imension%204600, you have four slots which can each hold up to 1gb for a total of 4gb max. If you have 512mb now, I would think you have two slots filled, each with a stick of 256mb (but I'm not 100% sure). On their site you can also run their scanner which will tell you how many sticks you have now. I would recommend getting two 512mb sticks so you would have a total of 1.5gb.

How much ram you need depends on what you do. If you're just browsing the web, 1gb is probably more than enough, but if you like to do a few things at once, say browse the web, listen to music, chat on instant messenger, watch videos, etc. then you may want 1.5gb-2gb.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

The best way to add RAM that is compatible...is to go to the website of a reliable vendor and look up the modules which relate specifically to your system.

www.crucial. com is the site I would recommend, although it's not the only site with that capability.

Louis

#6 kdavidk

kdavidk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:06 AM

Thank you both very much. I'll close this topic tomorrow.

Cheers

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:42 PM

Closing not necessary, but it would be nice to know what RAM you settle on and whether it does what you expect :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users