Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows (Home) Expired

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 debbiewalker87

debbiewalker87

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

Guys, my windows just expired. I think the store where I bought my computer installed a pirated copy of windows. I googled for some help and found this link "http://keznews.com/1916_How_to_login_to_an_expired_Windows".
Question, if I access my files after following the directions from this link, can I move my files to other drives? Please help me recover my files. I just really don't know what to do and I'm no good at computers. Do I have to buy a portable hard drive too?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

debbiewalker87,

That link you have is actually pretty interesting... however I can suggest doing it.

For a few reasons, the first is you have barely any windows access doing that, and it would just end up becoming very inconvenient.

Another reason is that you are using a pirated copy of windows, what this means is that you either have a illegal copy of windows, or you dont have a CDKEY for the copy you installed on your system.

The truth about legality of windows is that, if you have it on your pc you are SUPPOSED to have the CDKEY sticker somewhere on your pc.

I suggest you get a copy of windows from your local retail store.
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#3 debbiewalker87

debbiewalker87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

That link you have is actually pretty interesting... however I can suggest doing it. - I'm sorry... Do you mean 'can't'?

But what about my files? Is there any way I could restore them before the computer gets reformatted?

Also, if I buy a genuine windows does it mean the computer doesn't have to be formatted?

#4 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:58 PM

yes I did mean can't lol thank you for catching that.

Yes you can get those files back, I can tell you how if you NEED to, which you wont need to if you do get a genuine copy of windows.

Yes your computer will NOT need to be reformatted, I believe during the activation you are given the option to change your cdkey if it fails.

Edited by Box In A Bag, 26 November 2008 - 05:27 PM.

Posted Image

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

Let me ask you why do you think it is a pirated copy? Is it because you didn't receive a Windows disk with the purchase?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 debbiewalker87

debbiewalker87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:06 PM

To Box In A Bag:
Yes you can get those files back, I can tell you how if you NEED to - yeah, sure. :thumbsup: Could you please tell me now? Do I have to buy an external hard drive? Is it fine that my drive is in partition?

To garmanma:
Let me ask you why do you think it is a pirated copy? Is it because you didn't receive a Windows disk with the purchase? - yup... precisely...

#7 debbiewalker87

debbiewalker87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:06 PM

Sorry. There had been an error with my internet connection and it wouldn't allow me to post. I was surprised to see that my posts actually went through. Sorry.

Edited by debbiewalker87, 26 November 2008 - 06:11 PM.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

When you buy from a retail maker you do not get a copy either. They just buy the license and install an image on the computers
If you look at the back of your computer there should be a hologram sticker with the CD key stamped on it. If you have one it's legit
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:59 PM

Well, I am sure you could go through the process that you found earlier and locate your files and copy them to a jump drive or cd.

Either way, I would suggest you buya jump drive, wal mart has 8 GB ones for $25 and 16 GB ones for $50, they are good, i have one :thumbsup:

But I find it easier to do it this way:

Find a friend with basic computer knowledge.

Remove your hard drive from your computer and hook it up as a secondary or a slave on your friends computer.

Make sure the jumpers are set correctly.

Turn the computer on and allow it to boot into windows.

If you made sure to put it on secondary or a slave it will not boot into your windows, instead it will boot into your friends

Once on the desktop, click "start" than click "my computer"

Under Hard Disk Drives you should see a "Local Disk (C:)" and a different one. If you have a jump drive you may see two more other than the C:, if you are unsure which one is your hard drive just open them up, if there is a windows folder in it than that is your hard drive, if not, than your in your jump drive.

So open up the one that is YOUR HARD DRIVE

Navigate through to the files you want, copy them and paste them onto your thumb drive.

Once all are copied than in the bottom right hand corner you will see a green thing, looks like a arrow, if you click it, a box should open and say "safely remove hardware" click that, than once it says "It is now safe to remove your hardware" or prompts you to remove your hardware, than unplug the jump drive.

Shut down the computer, remove your hard drive from it, than restart the computer to make sure your friends computer is working just fine.

And there you have it, all your files are copied to your jump drive, if the hard drive is not damaged or corrupt you should have no problem doing this.
Posted Image

#10 debbiewalker87

debbiewalker87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:06 AM

Thanks very much! My friend suggested this too. He mentioned the 'hard drive as slave'. I remember. Thanks! :thumbsup:
Hope he could help me when he isn't busy anytime soon. thank you so much. Really appreciated your time and efforts. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users