Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing problem with new hardware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 poopsmgoo

poopsmgoo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:09 PM

I just put a new PC together and have been experiencing random freezes where I am unable to open the task manager and am forced to manually restart the computer. I opened the side of the case, put a huge fan blowing in and ran speedfan and noticed that my computer stops freezing even when I left it alone overnight. However, when I run a game like Far Cry 2 or Crysis it always freezes very quickly. The temperature of my graphics card (gtx260) gets to about 60C on speedfan. I am running:
Intel Duo E8500 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036)

4 GB (2X2gb) corsair Ram(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184)

EVGA GTX260(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130370)

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX mobo(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128345)

It seems like this is a heat problem but I didn't realize that my computer would completely freeze even with two pc fans and a giant fan blowing directly into my case. I was told it may be an instability problem having to do with Ram voltage and my motherboard? I ran easy tune 6 and the voltage of the ram is under the HW Monitor tab is 1.872 with the cpu voltage at 1.152, the +3.3V at 3.264 and the +12V at 12.365. IIf anyone thinks this is actually a different problem I am overlooking, could you let me know? Also, what would you suggest as a good (preferably inexpensive) cooling alternative to purchase? It really doesn't seem like the temps are that extreme...Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

I'd be thinking about doing an RMA on that board...before I wrote 60 degree temps off as causing freezes.

Louis

#3 poopsmgoo

poopsmgoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

I'd be thinking about doing an RMA on that board...before I wrote 60 degree temps off as causing freezes.

Louis

What is an RMA? sorry :/

#4 poopsmgoo

poopsmgoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:10 PM

Louis

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

I don't think it's a heat problem. My graphics card usually gets up to around 80c without having problems. 60C, even for Nvidia cards that are usually lower temperature, is not bad at all.

One thing I would like to point out is your ram is only 800mhz ram while your motherboard supports 1200mhz ram. I don't think this would be much of a problem, but one thing you should know is that your ram is only running at 1.9V . DDR2 1200 ram usually runs at, at least, 2.1V . What your experiencing does sound like it could be caused by ram issues. If you feel comfortable doing so, try bumping the voltages of the ram to 2.1V. Overclocking the frequency of the ram to 1066mhz (that may a little high for it though) may also help a bit. I'm not really sure if this will fix it, but it's worth a shot.

I was just reading one of the reviews, and the guy said something about having to turn down the ram voltages a bit. I guess that's contradicting myself, but if he was using some of the other 1200mhz ram sticks, he might have had too high of voltages for it. If you're not comfortable with doing all of this, you may want to look into getting DDR2 1066mhz ram (running at 2.1V), or even a different motherboard.

Edited by Sterling14, 26 November 2008 - 05:17 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

Louis

I forget what RMA stands for, but it means to return the product.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

Return Merchandise Authorization :thumbsup:, sorry for the delay in response.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_mercha...e_authorization

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users