Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Defrag, and more

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 UPFRONT1

UPFRONT1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:51 PM

Nothing seems to work and I've investigated this to the limit of my knowledge. Help!

Problem: While working on another issue, I found that I can't defrag, or analyze, or run scandisk on my hard drive.

Pertinent info: Windows XP SP3, 1 GB memory, 250 GB hard drive, 44GB used, 180GB free.

The original issue was a couple persistent boot up errors due to viewpointservice.exe
That was cured by me following a procedure offered by member quietman7. I don't have any reason
to think that issue and this defrag issue are related but I could be wrong.
viewpoint errors were: "Viewpointservice.exe - application error"
"The exception breakpoint", "A breakpoint has been reached". Those occured before any username was selected.
After selecting a username, error was " ViewMgr has encountered a problem and needs to close..."
Then there were two details about the error, both of which listed viewpointservice.exe

Disk problem now: if I try to run scandisk, I get "windows was unable to complete the disk check"
if I try to analyze or defrag disk in normal mode, I get "disk defragmentation could not start"
if I try to defrag in safe mode with command prompt, I get "windows cannot connect to the disk defragmenter engine"
while trying this, I stopped my McAfee and unplugged my modem.

I have defragmented the disk before but that was a long time ago by now. This is probably my fault due to lack of maintenance.
Computer still works but seems a bit slow and over the past couple months or so, Internet Explorer has been locking up every so often.

Anybody know what's going on here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:26 PM

Try running chkdsk /r from either the command window or the Recovery Console...then defragging the partition in question.

How to Understand and Use Chkdsk in Windows XP - http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

If you use the Graphical Version, it's the same as running chkdsk /r as long as you select both options (fix, recover) when presented.

If you use the Recovery Console or cmd prompt, be sure to put a space between the k and the /.

Louis

#3 UPFRONT1

UPFRONT1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:15 AM

Hamluis,
I hope I'm doing this right by doing an ADDREPLY to the post instead of sending a message directly to you only.
Anyway, I tried to run chkdsk as you suggested. While in windows, it didn't work saying, "was unable to complete the disk check"
From a command prompt it also didn't work, saying, "volume was in use by another process..."
Went to recovery console and got a successful chkdsk. It took about 2.5 hrs. Messages said, "found and fixed one or more errors on the volume"
Unfortunately, I still can't defrag. I get the same errors as before.

Now I've got another problem that I hope is just a changed setting from the chkdsk. I can't go to www.bleepingcomputer.com with the ailing computer.
I'm typing this on a different machine.
I tried to "diagnose connection" and the message says, "windows did not detect any problems with your internet connection over HTTP and HTTPS, but was not able to make a successful connection over FTP. The most likely cause of this problem is that a firewall client running on your machine is blocking the FTP ports. If you are trying to use FTP, please contact the manufacturer of your personal computer for assistance." After this, I found that the windows firewall was off. Reset that, then reset the I.E. security settings to defaults. Still can't connect to BC. This is weird because I can get to all the other sites on my favorites list. Hhhmmm. :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:31 AM

IMO, inability to run defrag...could indicate a problem with XP or a problem with the hard drive.

I would check Event Viewer for errors that might provide clues, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Then I would run a manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive.

If satisfaction still is not achieved...I would either run sfc /scannow on XP (using a CD slipstreamed to include SP3) or I would do a repair install of XP (using a CD slipstreamed to include SP3).

Louis

#5 UPFRONT1

UPFRONT1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

Hamluis,

I should have replied before this but I've been busy, and then, after getting concerned that my ailing computer's (a desktop) hard drive might be preparing to crash, I wasted time trying to figure out how to copy valuable personal files to a DVD. Believe it or not, I've never been able to do that. Missing software, missing instructions, or operator incompetence? Don't know. But the laptop I'm working on right now has plenty of info on how to do it and it seems straight-forward. I plan to copy files from the desktop via flash drive, to the laptop, and then get them on DVD. Most of them are camcorder MPEGs which is why they're too much for even an 8GB flash drive.

I ran event viewer per the info link you provided. There are more errors than you can shake a stick at. Hopefully I can give you a good overview. For Applications, there are 1552 events, about 95% errors. First error on 11/23/08, "Faulting application ViewpointService.exe, version 2.0.0.54, faulting module ViewpointService.exe, version 2.0.0.54, fault address 0x00002250." This must be the problem I was having when I first found BleepingComputer.
Later on the same day, there were two more of the same error, then two that say, "Fault bucket 370778352". Then more Viewpoint and fault bucket errors as I progress in time along the list into the next day. Here's a different one, "Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16735, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000." Then on 11/24, there were more Viewpoint and fault buckets, then this, "Failed auto update retrieval of third party root list sequence number from:<http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootsseq.txt> with error: A connection with the server could not be established." There were more of these errors and viewpoint and bucket errors as I progresss in time until 11/24 at around 5:06 pm. At that time, I must have used quietman7's procedure to get rid of viewpointservice.exe. After that, I don't see any more viewpoint or fault bucket errors. Near as I can tell as I spot-check along the list, the rest of the errors are the "failed auto update" errors as I entered above. The "source" column shows "crpyt32" and every so often there's a warning that says, "reached crypt32 threshold of 50 events and will suspend logging for 60 minutes". Interesting.

For the Security section, there are no errors.

For the System section there are much fewer errors than for the Applications section, but they are from a wider range of causes so there would be more to list. Let me know if you need to see them and I will enter them in another reply. This particular reply is getting long already. If you are able to look at this today, I should be more free to reply promptly.

Also, I just remembered another symptom that I thought you should know. It might be related. My McAfee now persistently says my detection signature file is between 8 and 29 days old. When I click "Fix" as it says, it works on it for awhile, then says I'm up to date, but the initial dialog box that says I'm not protected doesn't change to show that I'm protected. I don't think the fix is happening. Could the reason for this be the same as for why I can't get into BleepingComputer.com?

Take Care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users