Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autoplay virus - antivirus software recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 philives

philives

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

Hi,

I have searched through previous posts before opening a new topic however if anyone can recommend a good post please quote a link thanks.

My friends computer is infected with a virus that results in autoplay constantly starting over and over again. It doesn't mention what it trying to atuoplay. It simply starts, then you see the 'spotlight torch' move about, then it stops. Seconds later it will do the same thing.

As a temporary measure I have disabled autoplay on all drives using 'tweakui' this has stopped the constant interuptions, however im concerned that it is still running in the background using up system resources.

So far I have tried: malwarebytes + adaware (full system scans on all drives) - however when I enable autoplay the problem still happens.

Does anyone know of a good antivirus program that will remove this particular problem?

Thanks in advance.

Mod Edit: Move from Windows XP to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 26 November 2008 - 12:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

Can you tell us what the hopefully installed antivirus program is and when it was last fully run on a deep scan? Also , assuming you have only recently updated the malawarebytes program and run a scan , do you have the log report from that scan for checking ; see if it sheds any light on what might be happening ?

#3 philives

philives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:37 AM

I used the program Malwarebytes Anti-malware to perform a full system scan (on all drives). I only installed the program yesterday and made sure the latest update was applied before running the scan, here is the log produced after the scan completed:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1419
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

27/11/2008 11:25:37
mbam-log-2008-11-27 (11-25-37).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|J:\|)
Objects scanned: 74707
Time elapsed: 17 minute(s), 1 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

As you can see it detected no problems, however if I turn the autoplay option 'on' I will get the same problem described in my initial post.

Thanks for taking some time to help :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users