Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to the internet!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

I have an HP laptop running Windows Vista. I switched over to Firefox about a month ago due to having problems with IE. Since then, I've had numerous problems with Firefox showing that its still running and that I would have to restart the computer. I tried ending Firefox in the task manager, but that didn't work either. I was tired of dealing with it so yesterday I uninstalled Firefox hoping to reinstall it and see if that solved the problem. After uninstalling, I tried to use IE to get online but every time I do that, the page loads but then shows the box saying the web page cannot be displayed. It shows different reasons for the problem, not connected to the internet, the site is having problems, etc. I know I'm connected to the internet, and the page that is trying to load is my home page that I have always used, so none of those apply. I tried to reverse the uninstall by using system restore, but after doing so the computer showed that the restore didn't work due to a problem, and there is only one restore point to use. I need help figuring how to connect to the internet so I can reinstall Firefox.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 philives

philives

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:52 PM

Can you open a command prompt and type 'ipconfig' - if possible post the results here. It's probably best to confirm you are definately connected to the internet and not just to your wireless router.

#3 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

Hello
Thanks for the fast reply. I know that I am connected to the net because it shows the globe on the lower right and when I go to the Network Center, it shows I am connected to the net. I've also tried the diagnose connection problems and it comes up showing there isn't anything wrong. I can also access an online poker game but can't get to the net from it. I did the "ipconfig" and here is what it shows:
Windows IP Config
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection -specific DNS suffix.: gateway.2wire.net
IPv4 address.....: xxxxxxxxx
Subnet mask....xxxxxxx
Default gateway...xxxxxxx

Ethernet adapter local area connection:

Media state .....Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS suffix:

Any ideas?
Thanks again
Dylan

#4 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

Is there anything that Mozilla would have changed having to do with internet explorer when I changed over? Maybe something that I need to change back before IE will work correctly? When I did the Mozilla uninstall, it didn't uninstall correctly so I had to go in and redo it with Revo Uninstaller. It did find leftover Mozilla programs on the computer but now I can't remember if I deleted those items or not. Is there a way to find those again and get rid of them?

#5 philives

philives

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:48 AM

It may be worth trying a different browser. For example Google chrome link

#6 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:51 AM

I would try that but I can't connect to the internet. When I click on IE, it pulls up, runs for a few seconds showing yahoo.com, and then says that the page cannot be displayed. I can't get to the internet to try a different browser.

#7 philives

philives

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:07 AM

What wireless router are you using? Try connecting to the router via a LAN cable then try accessing the internet again.

Couple of other things to try:

1) Would you be able to drop a copy of the google browser onto a USB pen drive using the computer you are posting these updates on? Then install it on your own PC? This would at least prove the problem isn't with IE or firefox.

2) Mozila firefox shouldnt have changed any settings that would prevent other browsers accessing the net. Usually you can run both at the same time with no problems. It could be worth reinstalling firefox if you still have the install file.

I'm not a network expert so someone else may be able to provide better instructions, however hopefully trying one of the above will help identify where the problem is.

#8 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:54 PM

Hello
Okay, here is where I am at.... I shut down my wifi connection and am running off of my sprint air card. I saved mozilla to a flash drive and successfully downloaded it to the computer. It still will not access the net. When I click on the icon, the blue windows disc spins for a few seconds but nothing happens. I can still get to the internet on an online game, but anytime I try to go to online help, nothing happens. I've been able to connect to the net to update AVG, but can't go any further than that. Clicking on the IE icon does the same thing as before, it goes only as far as showing the page cannot be displayed. Thanks for your help so far, it seems like I am getting closer to fixing it. Any more suggestions?

#9 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

I've done a little more work and found something that could be the problem. I noticed a few days ago a new box popping up when I started the computer. It says something along the lines of an error occuring with "microsoft.net80", and I can either continue or quit the application. I've just been hitting quit and moving on. I just googled microsoft.com:80, and it shows it has something to do with a port. Any ideas where to go from here?

Edited by Dborns, 27 November 2008 - 02:02 PM.

#10 philives

philives

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

It sounds like port 80 has been blocked. Here is a list of what jobs specific ports do. As you can see port 80 is 'world wide web' - other software / programs will use different ports which is possibly why poker and other games still work.

Usually you should be able to unblock ports using your router config GUI - let me know what router you have if you're not sure how to access this. You should be able to access it by typing an IP address into the internet explorer address bar - for example my netgear router uses: 127.0.0.1 - however it will ask for a username and password.

[Edit - I have found a utility that may help you - link obviously I haven't tried it as I can't replicate your error, so use at your own risk, however the symptoms sound very similar]

Let me know how you get on!!!

Edited by philives, 27 November 2008 - 02:02 PM.

#11 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:05 PM

Okay, so that is obviously the problem. What I don't understand is that this problem started at home where I use an AT&T wireless router. I'm now at work and the problem continues on both the free wifi and my sprint card. Is there something in the computer that would be blocking port 80? I use Zonealarm and I couldn't find anything in it showing it was blocking that port.

#12 philives

philives

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

Something has specifically blocked that port by the sounds of things. Could be a virus. I have heard previously that zonealarm can be quite 'protective' and a little over zealous when it comes to blocking connections.

If a port is blocked it will affect wireless and cabled connections - it is independent of what method you use to connect to the net. I.e. you can't block a port on wireless but leave it open on cabled (I think ;)).

#13 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:17 PM

Also, now I'm noticing that when I have my wifi on, it is connecting to the wifi here at work but is only showing local access and an "X" between connection and the internet. But when I use my sprint card, it shows local and internet, but still won't connect. Its like the shortcut to the net won't work.

#14 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:19 PM

So what should I do besides run my antivirus? I shut Zonealarm down and tried to connect but that didn't work. Is there a way to go to port 80 and see if its blocked?

I noticed that when I use my sprint air card, it shows the blue globe on the lower right icon, and it shows that I am connected in the network and sharing center, but of course I still can't connect. When I turn the card off, and my wifi back on, the globe shows up for a few minutes but then dissapears. Same thing in the Network Center; it shows connected briefly then goes back to local only.
I'm running a virus scan and I'll let you know what I find.

Dylan

Edited by Dborns, 27 November 2008 - 02:55 PM.

#15 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:10 PM

I ran a scan with MalwareBytes, AVG, and Spyware Terminator with nothing found. I've also tried to ping my computer and it worked. When I tried to ping another computer, it didn't work with either the air card or the wifi. Any ideas?

Edited by Dborns, 27 November 2008 - 04:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users