Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Systems builders. mATX case for next future build.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MoonPower

MoonPower

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

I'm getting the itch to build another pc in the near future. Maybe by sometime in January '09. So right know I'm just looking for some ideas for a case, mATX cases only. I would like your ideas on past experiences with your own builds using the mATX form factor case. Other ideas using 'mini' towers is ok too for comparison. I just don't need all the extra space.

I have googled a lot of places selling mATX cases. I have been a customer of Newegg in the past by upgrading my current pc this past August. There are other sellers of course, but I'm partial to Newegg and they have more handy reviews available. Directron and TigerDirect are two other places I have looked. There are so many to choose from. Which brands are better, and which are worse in your opinion? Would like your feedback on that.

Has anyone used the 'cube'? Have heard good and not so good with these, but Newegg had one or two that looked good and had good reviews overall. What is your experience with these? But I do not care about their gamer cubes, the flashy colors and built-in carrying handle. I'm not a gamer anyway besides playing cards. One I tend to like is called the AeroCool M40 mATX cube case-black. Seems to be plenty of room with that particular one and there is a beige one too. There are others to list, but won't here.

All I really need is just one 5.25" external drive and don't even need a 3.5" external drive. One or two internal 3.5" bays are fine. I want to use the full size PSU. Btw, would you also recommend 'modular' cables to help keep inside more tidy? Other builders have recommended them. I assume that could be more of an issue with the cube cases.

I am also still using a 17" crt monitor. The color I am not sure about. It is a light color. Beigh maybe? Does that sound right? According to what I saw elsewhere, the correct color might be beige, but I thought beige was more a very light brown? Anyway you get the picture. I do appreciate your ideas and will make note of them when I decide to build again.

Edited by MoonPower, 26 November 2008 - 11:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:00 PM

Most of your stuff can be done, for the right price..... Always, there is money involved. :thumbsup:

I have used mATX and don't care for it. Too small and often runs too hot. HP has a good idea with their latest dc7800 UltraSlim Desktops by putting the power supply outside, like a transformer. They also use Notebook memory in that unit. :huh:

The Cubes look nice but I have seen a few cases of overheating by people trying to put too much into it. :)

I think you may have the dimensions wrong on your external drive. No 5.25" drives anymore, at all. B)

You could also put a 2.5" SATA hard drive into the unit instead of a 3.5" SATA or IDE. :huh:

Spend some of the extra money on a nice LCD widescreen as well.

Good luck.

DR

#3 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:46 PM

Most of your stuff can be done, for the right price..... Always, there is money involved. :thumbsup:

I have used mATX and don't care for it. Too small and often runs too hot. HP has a good idea with their latest dc7800 UltraSlim Desktops by putting the power supply outside, like a transformer. They also use Notebook memory in that unit. :huh: Sounds like a good idea, but for some reason I guess I want to stay with mATX. You can always add more fans if you worry about excess heat.

The Cubes look nice but I have seen a few cases of overheating by people trying to put too much into it. :)

I think you may have the dimensions wrong on your external drive. No 5.25" drives anymore, at all. B) Wow! My mistake. I guess I was referring to a regular cd size dvdrom or cd-rw. But that doesn't even come close. Goes to show how much I know here. A cd I measured is about 3 and 11/16" in diameter. I take it that that is where they get the 3.5" size?

You could also put a 2.5" SATA hard drive into the unit instead of a 3.5" SATA or IDE. :huh: I would go with SATA. Does the 2.5" have a benefit over the 3.5"? Speed? Price?

Spend some of the extra money on a nice LCD widescreen as well. Yes the prices are coming way down. I should consider one soon.

Good luck. Thanks for replying DR.

DR

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:27 AM

The CD I have here, a music CD, runs 4 5/8" in diameter. The mini-CD is about 3 1/4" in diameter. That is the diameter of the blank media that goes into the CD.

The 3.5" refers to the platter size, inside the hard drive. There is no real benefit to a 3.5" over a 2.5". At least none that I know. The faster hard drives spin at 7200 RPM while the standard is 5400 RPM. If you are building a standard desktop, I would use the standard 3.5" but get one that spins at 7200 RPM. I noticed a big increase in speed when I switched to a 7200 RPM drive.

And get an after-market CPU heatsink/fan. The standard will only do so much but an after-market does much better. Read the reviews and chose appropriately.

Good luck.

DR

#5 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:58 AM

The CD I have here, a music CD, runs 4 5/8" in diameter. The mini-CD is about 3 1/4" in diameter. That is the diameter of the blank media that goes into the CD.

The 3.5" refers to the platter size, inside the hard drive. There is no real benefit to a 3.5" over a 2.5". At least none that I know. The faster hard drives spin at 7200 RPM while the standard is 5400 RPM. If you are building a standard desktop, I would use the standard 3.5" but get one that spins at 7200 RPM. I noticed a big increase in speed when I switched to a 7200 RPM drive.

And get an after-market CPU heatsink/fan. The standard will only do so much but an after-market does much better. Read the reviews and chose appropriately.

Good luck.

DR

Yes, my current pc uses a SATA 7200. Im using AMD Athlon X2 6000 CPU on factory MoBo. It handles it just fine. Came with a real nice Heat sink/CPU fan with large fins and pipe cooling. Used Arctic Silver. Thanks for clearing that up DR. MP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users