Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

atapi.sys..can't make it STAY changed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 256738

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:27 AM

I've had many BSOD's on my Dell Dimension 2400 w/ Pentium 4® 1.6 GHz CPU dual CD equipped computer running XP Pro since I put in xpsp2 with it's poorly written atapi.sys v5.1.2600.2180. When I put in atapi.sys v5.1.2600.1106 (into system 32\drivers, into both C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0001 & 0002, and I made sp2.cab inaccesible by moving it to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache from C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386, I could then start Nero w/o getting the BSOD. Then,atapi.sys v5.1.2600.2180 re-installed itself. BSOD was back. Next, I tried unpacking sp2.cab, replacing atapi.sys with the older version, and re-packing the cab file and putting it back into C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386. Atapi.sys v5.1.2600.2180 still re-installed itself from somewhere.(I also cleared all norton protected files during these procedures). Where is the little beast that keeps re-installing the sp2 atapi.sys? How do I stop it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:16 PM

Get rid of SP2 it's a mess. Re-install xp if necessary. Then just add SP1 if it doesn't have it built-in to your version of xp.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

System Restore is most likely the little beast that you are looking for but it is not a good idea to disable it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users