Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having trouble with service host using 100 cpu/memory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jsatur

jsatur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:39 AM

I am looking at a buddy of mine's wife's laptop. It is very sluggish and one process in particular, svchost, is using 100% of the cpu & almost all the memory resources. There are 4-5 entries of "svchost" and one of them is unusally high in usage. I have bandaided it by ending it in the taskmanager just to be able to troubleshoot it. I also tried a fix from technibble. I followed the directions to no avail. I downloaded 3 files:

fix_svchost
WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86
WindowsXP-KB927891

I followed the directions of booting up in safe mode, running fix_svchost, then running windows update agent & then the patch. The problem still persists. I also tried another approach of deleting a registry entry in HKLM but the entry is not there for me to delete. Is there anyone here who has had this same issue and was able to resolve it??? I also need to know what causes it, cause my own desktop is acting the same way.

The OS is WINXP home and it has all the latest updates as of 9:00pm on 11-25-2008. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Jenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:44 AM

A good way to find out what is really under the svchost process is to use a tool made by Sysinternals (now owned by microsoft) called Process Explorer Basically it gives you the opportunity to dig into the tasks, and see the underlying processes and dll's loaded by each.

This way you can pinpoint where all the resources are going and come up with a fix.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

Once you install Process Explorer, hover your mouse over the offending SVCHOST.EXE process. A list will show up with all the underlying processes listed. Let us know the names of these processes and we'll see what we can do.

You may also want to right click on the SVCHOST.EXE process, select Properties, and then select the Threads tab to see if you can detect any excessive activity there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users