Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My bad experience with Zonealarm Security Suite in Vista

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dominik.steiger

dominik.steiger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:45 AM

I want to share my experiences with ZASS (80_020_000) on my new Lenovo T400 machine (Vista Business, SP1). The problems I've encountered led me to uninstall it.

ZASS was installed as the first program after updating the system. This went without problems, but I was amazed about how slow the system got, comparable now in responsiveness, boot up and shut down times to my 3 year old T43p thinkpad with ZASS and XP Pro Sp3.

I own a networked HP Photosmart C6280 all-in-one device. I tried to install the AIO driver/suite package with ZASS turned off, after a restart. This proved to be impossible, HP digital imaging monitor could not initialize, stalled the system and had to be shut down manually, all this with ZASS disabled. I resorted to use the Vista-included driver that only supports limited scanning functions (e.g. TWAIN not working).

Then I installed the Cicso VPN client that I need for work. It turned out that due to a problem that MS should patch (at least that is what the firewall people say), third-party firewalls drop all packets coming via the successfully established VPN connection. It is obviously not clear when this problem (that is known for months) will be solved (see threads).

So I decided to completely uninstall ZASS with manual cleaning as described in the Zonealarm user forum. I then went and installed Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009.

After this, the system is FAST. I was surprised about this, since I thought that the Kaspersky scanning engine is also used in ZASS and the most taxing thing regarding system resources. Even updating (which takes large computer resources for a considerable time directly after boot-up with ZASS) is extremely fast. Boot-up and shut-down times seem greatly improved.

As expected, the VPN is now working.

But this was the most surprising thing: I tried once again to install the HP AIO suite. This time, it installed flawlessly and everything seems to be working. Obviously, turning off ZASS was not enough to let it install itself properly.

I guess that's it for me with ZASS (at least on Vista). Especially the speed difference was a revelation.

By the way, this post survived only for minutes on the Zonealarm user forum before being deleted without traces.

Operating System: Windows Vista Business
Software Version: 8.0
Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users