Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sluggish computer needs some lovin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tien28

tien28

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

im reformating my friends computer once before i did to mine, problem is that whenever i reformat the drivers are missing and i have to go through a lengthy process to get the internet started again.
also using a copy of windows xp since he lost his original cds (7 year old computer)

He has a HP Pavilion a375c Desktop PC
He has a wireless internet receiver

The questions are

Will reformating his computer help speed up his computer
Will his internet automatically set up if he has a wireless receiver or what should i do if it does
What can i do besides reformatting that will speed up his computer to like new
and generally what should i do to get his computer up and running fresh and clean with internet

please comment back on what i should do

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:56 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

<<Will reformating his computer help speed up his computer>>

Somewhat...although it's not the primary factor in determining system response. Increasing the RAM installed would provide a more appreciable basis for better performance.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...avilion%20a375c

<<Will his internet automatically set up if he has a wireless receiver or what should i do if it does>>

If the XP CD has the drivers stored on it, the NIC may be set up immediately. If it does not, then the drivers have to be installed once Windows has set up properly.

If activation is done when initially prompted, the XP CD has the drivers and has installed them (because the NIC must be used to access the activation website). If the user gets a message that activation cannot take place until the connection is properly activated, then the drivers need to be installed by the user.

<<What can i do besides reformatting that will speed up his computer to like new>>

Well...I think that's an unrealistic expectation. Anything 7 years old is not likely to perform as if it were brand new...you, me, our autos, our computer systems.

Any number of components may have been slowed due to nothing but age/use...it's a system with many different elements.

Specs for the system you mentioned: http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Hewlett-Packar...GB-A375CBEC6719

Nice system...but P4 processors have been outdone by cheap dual-core processors, AGP has been supplanted as video technology by faster onboard and PCI card technologies, DDR has been supplanted by DDR2 and DDR3 (newer boards), and the 2GB max RAM limits the possibility of moving to Vista (which is the present/future Windows O/S).

All that being said...if the user is content with the system and has no perceived need for more...just add more RAM, with the understanding that 2GB is the max.

<<generally what should i do to get his computer up and running fresh and clean with internet>>

A clean install of XP, followed by installation of all drivers (if necessary). With valid license key, of course...the HP license must be used on that system, although you can use any Microsoft XP CD to do the install, as long as it is the same version as the license originally issued. You cannot use an XP Pro CD to clean install or repair install an XP Home system.

Louis

#3 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:08 AM

and If the key is the key on the side of the PC, you will probably have to get ahold of the OEM disk for whichever version of XP is on the system

A non-oem disk will not work with an OEM key.

Here is the drivers page for the HP Pavilion A375C, If you notice, the fourth one down is "order recovery disks" which should cost no more than 20$ plus shipping.

If you decide to go the "without recovery media" route, and install the (OEM) xp without all the bloatware, you will probably need the raid drivers to begin installation.. and the network drivers for activation.

If you are technically inclined and learn quick, you could try out NLite, and build a disk for him, containing all the required drivers on one cd, but that's up to you..

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 26 November 2008 - 09:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users