Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo service disables laptops with text message

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Net_Surfer

Net_Surfer

• Banned
  • 2,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:54 AM

If a laptop is lost, now there's a new way to remotely shut it down: just text it.

Lenovo plans to announce on Tuesday its Constant Secure Remote Disable service, which allows users to remotely disable a PC by sending a text message. Users also receive a confirmation text message that confirms that the PC has been disabled.

"You steal my PC and ... if I can deliver a signal to that PC that turns it off, hey, I'm good now," said Stacy Cannady, product manager of security at Lenovo.

A user can send a text message -- also called a kill command -- from a specified cell phone number to kill a PC. Each ThinkPad can be paired with up to 10 cell phones, and the service works over wireless networks that support the SMS (Short Messaging Service) standard.

A lost or stolen laptop must have a working cellular data card and a paid data plan with a carrier for the remote disable service to work, Cannady said.

The system targets consumers who are worried about their laptops getting stolen. For business users, it helps companies enforce compliance policies, since users get receipts back ensuring that their laptops are safe.

To reactivate a disabled PC, a user needs to enter a preset passcode after the laptop is restarted, Cannady said. The laptop software works with the carrier-based software to disable the computer.

The software will be available free from Lenovo's Web site. It will also be available on certain ThinkPad notebooks equipped with mobile broadband starting in the first half of 2009.

Lenovo worked with Phoenix Technologies to develop the service.

:thumbsup: Hummmm ........That is good news. B)

So, a hacker can send a kill signal... :spam: ..

To any Lenovo computer and render it inoperable? :inlove:

:flowers: Begs a question, now doesn't it?
:trumpet:

There's a difference between rendering the laptop inoperable and wiping the drive, though. It's one thing to kill the laptop, but if the thief can crack the case and still get data off the hard drive then what good is the kill feature? :) And a DBAN wipe takes hours to run on even a small hard drive. :) I can't believe that this kill features wipes the drive to the degree you'd need to in order to sleep well at night just because you got a confirmation that the kill command had worked. :cool:

Ok... Let's go in find more good news with bad news.
:P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:57 AM

:thumbsup:

.....yeah....big loophole is big.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

pop in an ubuntu cd, boot from it in live mode, and take any data you want.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

I can hardly wait to see it start showing up in the forums
and you know it will
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users