Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ifected with av2009

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 bravedog

bravedog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:08 AM

Hello -
I'm working on a friend's pc that has the AntiVirus 2009 virus (there may be more going on but that's the most obvious). I tried some obvious actions - stopping the av2009 process, deleting files (av2009.exe and some rogue dll's), etc. but this did not help much. The current symptoms are that I get redirected to a website which attempts to download av2009. If I try to access a site to download a tool (e.g. HijackThis) I get "Connection Interrupted".

So... I transferred some tools (MBAM, Adaware, AVG, spybot) via a flash drive but most of these utilities will not run, or will not finish. I did get a HijackThis log which is attached.

Any help appreciated.

Jim

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bravedog

bravedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:09 AM

Update: I've managed to install and run several utilities. Here is a tip for anybody who might be in the same predicament. The Anti Virus 2009 virus is apparently smart enough to prevent the execution of certain programs. So if you have trouble running the installer for a program (e.g. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) rename the file to some other name and try to run it again. After the install if you cannot run the tool, rename that file as well, and retry. I have now installed and run the following:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (great program - cleaned out a bunch of of stuff)
Adaware
Spybot Search & Destroy
Kaspersky online scanner
AVG anti-virus

Things are looking much better. I have attached the log from RSIT. If somebody could verify that it looks clean that would be appreciated.

Jim

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   50.51KB   6 downloads

#3 fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Members
  • 6,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:57 AM

Hello.. Sorry of our late reply.. If you still need our help, please run RSIT again and post the fresh RSIT log.txt here for my review..

Regards
fenzodahl512

Keep calm, make it simple, use your brain, don't freak out, and you'll be just fine..
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.. True story - Barney Stinson
Posted Image Posted Image
Its gonna be legen.. wait for it.. dary! Cherish the pain, it means you're still alive

#4 bravedog

bravedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

Hi fenz -
Thanks for the reply but I think I'm good on this. My friend is able to use the machine (at least well enough anyway) and doesn't think it's worth pursuing.

Thanks again.

Jim

#5 fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Members
  • 6,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

Thank you for notify us :thumbsup:

I will now close this topic. If you need this topic to be re-open, please pm me or Moderators regarding the matter..

If you have any new malware related questions or issues in the future please start a new topic.

Cheers and Happy Computing !

fenzodahl512

Keep calm, make it simple, use your brain, don't freak out, and you'll be just fine..
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.. True story - Barney Stinson
Posted Image Posted Image
Its gonna be legen.. wait for it.. dary! Cherish the pain, it means you're still alive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users