Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Share Music on a different drive with Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:19 PM

Ok I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. I have all my music on and separate drive then my OS. my music is on drive R:\. when I open media player all my music and play lists are there and I can play them. I set up sharing on my R:\ drive music folder and have media player set up to share music with remote computers. when I open media player on a remote computer and access my main it sees my play lists and the sample music that came with the system. none of the stuff on my R:\ drive is visible. I can see the music if I connect to the computer through the network places and access it through the shared folder. but I like the play lists. why won't media player share?

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:39 PM

I'm guessing here but I think it has to do with Microsoft observing the restrictions imposed by the DRM of music. I believe they are taking the approach that your use of the OS and network to circumvent the DRM is your responsibility but they are not going to provide software that has features specifically designed to violate DRM.

I noticed, for example, that the PVR function within the Windows Media Center will not allow a network drive to be used as a destination for recorded TV programs. I can only use a local drive as a destination. After recording to a local drive, there is no problem using Explorer to move a recording to a network drive but since the network drive cannot be designated as a location for the recorded program, it also cannot be used as a source location for Recorded TV playback. Ironically, I can designate a network drive as a source or destination for the Video Library (usually a location for user created videos) and any videos located there, including recorded TV programs, are visible and playable as part of the Video Library.

I haven't actually tried to access any of these network located items from a different PC on the network but I expect I would find the same restrictions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users