Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Ultimate 32bit to 64bit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Polrek

Polrek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:00 PM

Hey guys!

I have just purchased a XPS M1530 from Dell with Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit edition installed. I am just wondering what the easiest way to get from 32 bit Ultimate to 64 bit Ultimate is.

Thanks for any help,

Polrek.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

There isn't one
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...5c8a701033.mspx
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Polrek

Polrek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:26 PM

What? From the link you posted, it says to back up and install the 64 bit version

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, back up your files and perform a clean installation of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

Also, see here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=120228

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

You can move to the 64 bit edition, but it will completely reinstall the OS since it is a platform update. If you have 4 GB or more of RAM, the switch will be worth it, otherwise you're just wasting your time and possibly slowing down the PC since items in 64-bit memory take up slightly more space.

3939.png

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?

No. If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

For detailed information about installing and upgrading 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows, go to Installation choices for Windows Vista (32-bit) or Installation choices for Windows Vista (64-bit) online.

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, back up your files and perform a clean installation of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users