Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possibly people that are using my internet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Richard ken

Richard ken

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:56 PM

Yeah I need help with a problem; that problem is having to do with my DSL wireless signal. When I go online for awhile it starts dropping and slows down my speed and I have a feeling that someone might be using the same address of the DSL thing so can anyone offer me some advice and tell me that someone did it before and that it did not screw up his/her computer. Thanks for reading my problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:48 AM

Are you using a wireless router? If so, do you have a security key? (WEP, WPA, etc.)

#3 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:11 AM

yes I'm one of the wireless router and I don't know if I have a security key?

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:31 AM

Go into your router settings (it is different for each manufacturer) if you tell me which router you have, I can tell you how to see if you have a secuirty key or not. What a security key does, is it makes you type in a password to connect to a wireless network, you only need to enter it the first time you connect to the network, or when the password changes.

Example (this is hypothetical): I have a wireless network set up at my house. I just finished setting up the router. I set a WEP key of "mypassword23". I turn on my laptop and connect to the network, before it establishes the connection, it asks for a WEP key. I type in "mypassword23" and it allows me to use the internet. I type in the wrong key and it just doesn't let me connect.

So if you do not have a WEP key, anyone that is in range of your router can connect to it and use your internet and slow down your speed.

*Edit* You can also view logs about who/what connected to your router and what time they connected and disconnected.

Edited by xblindx, 26 November 2008 - 09:32 AM.

#5 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:41 AM

Go into your router settings (it is different for each manufacturer) if you tell me which router you have, I can tell you how to see if you have a secuirty key or not. What a security key does, is it makes you type in a password to connect to a wireless network, you only need to enter it the first time you connect to the network, or when the password changes.

Example (this is hypothetical): I have a wireless network set up at my house. I just finished setting up the router. I set a WEP key of "mypassword23". I turn on my laptop and connect to the network, before it establishes the connection, it asks for a WEP key. I type in "mypassword23" and it allows me to use the internet. I type in the wrong key and it just doesn't let me connect.

So if you do not have a WEP key, anyone that is in range of your router can connect to it and use your internet and slow down your speed.

*Edit* You can also view logs about who/what connected to your router and what time they connected and disconnected.

Can I really do that I'm not the main router I'm just a wireless receiver using USB wireless lan?

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:00 PM

Where is the main roouter which is connected to the Internet?

#7 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

Where is the main roouter which is connected to the Internet?

My main router is at my brothers room while I'm using the computer in the Living room and the wire that connects the main router and the telephone line is between these two rooms.

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:53 PM

Well since you ate sharing a connection, ask your brother when the Internet is slow if he is downloading something.

#9 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:57 PM

Well since you ate sharing a connection, ask your brother when the Internet is slow if he is downloading something.

Yeah my brother is never home I'm basically the only one that using it in daytime so I don't know whats the problem.

#10 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

Yeah can i check other ppl time thing since im one of the wireless connector?

#11 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:50 PM

You can also view logs about who/what connected to your router and what time they connected and disconnected.

Is the main router suppose to have three antenna and if it is my is an Airlink 101 MIMO technology.

Edited by Richard ken, 16 February 2009 - 09:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users