Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My vent on computers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

Ok I admit to being a Troglodyte.
Per Wikipedia:
A member of a primitive race or tribe of cave-dwellers, a caveman.
A person who lives in seclusion,
I need a computer so that I can run my small one man business. Windows word, Paint and QuickBooks are almost all I need.
Up grades to XP SP 3, malware , viruses, Windows 7 . It makes my head spin.
Imagine what it would be like if TV needed constant upgrading or was subject to malware and virus. Oh No I surfed by channel 137 and now I have a TVSD! " or "All my channel selections keep being redirected to ( Insert least favorite channel)"
My Mother could type 60 wpm on her Royal manual typewriter. That skill served here and her employers well for decades. Now I do not want to go back to the days of typewriters. But I ask myself why is it constantly necessary to keep upgrading these machines and programs once we have something that functions well at the level we need. I wish we had a certain model or type computer that could be constant for at least a decade or so. Buy it, plug it in and use it.
Anyway thats my vent. Maybe I should go look at an IMac??
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:32 AM

Hi Nawtheasta,

When you're in the infancy of a development, you can expect more changes than when it's development has had time to mature. Upgrades, updates, and protection are not only related to software, they are based in international standards, cultural differences and international law. At this point, there is not yet a standardized agreement among anti-virus companies as to what the same set of files should be named. There are many legal hinderances to tracking down people who might infect your computer. There are international conferences about agreement between computers. It would be a simple matter if all that needed changing once in awhile is a lightbulb, but in fact, it is the whole world that is having to change to accomodate this new revolutionary development for human communication and the human mind.

:thumbsup:
Zllio

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

Hi Zillo
I get your point. I have often thought that someday the internet and television would merge and instead of 200 channels there would be limitless sites or channels.
Technologies do reach a zenith though. Sometimes in layers. A piper cub of the 1940s would still have uses today. 747s from the 60s are still a valid form of jet transport. Aircraft avionics have continued to advance but the base platform of the aircraft have changed little in the last 40 years compared to the 40 years prior.
I would say for a lot of folks that same scenario is present in office technology. In the last 30 years we have gone from typewriters and file cabinets to computers. Word processing with spell check and different fonts has really supplanted the typewriter.
I would argue that this is a zenith for this type technology and that in 50 years we will still be using essentially the same type word processing we use today ( Although probably MS word version 189.0.6)
I think one reason we are bound to endless upgrading is that software is covered by copyright laws instead of patent laws. Copyright protection was intended for printed matter. It was never envisioned that written codes would be used as a type of tool as in programming. If software was only protected for 17 years instead of 75 just imagine the creativity that would be unleashed.
Best regards
Nawtheasta
( Happy thanksgiving to all!!)

#4 Jarrick

Jarrick

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

Nawthesta, you sound just like I did a while back. I was having nothing but troubles running maintaining my Windows computer as well as my wife and daughters systems. Seems that there was always something to worry about. Incompatibility issues, viruses to worry about, updates that always needed to be installed, you get the point.
I made the switch to Ubuntu and have never looked back. I've always been interested in computers and how they run, so learning Ubuntu was not difficult. In fact, it's the easiest of all the linux systems out there.
I'd recommend you download and try it out. It is available as a live cd so that you can run it on your system without making any changes. You can even install it to dual boot so you still keep Windows if you liike.
I'mlike you in that I only use my computer for a few key programs and surfing the net.
Ubuntu has a Word equivalent named Open Office. I'm not familiar with Quickbooks but I think gnucash is a similar type program in Ubuntu.
Speaking of TV. My cable provider is constantly shuffling the network channels around making it hard to find them after a switch. I get used to where a channel is located only to find that they have restructured and moved it on me. They must know how much it frustrates the viewers, which is probably why they do it.

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:24 AM

I would argue that this is a zenith for this type technology

I'm looking forward to the day when I can just stick another bar of ram into the side of my head.

I think one reason we are bound to endless upgrading is that software is covered by copyright laws instead of patent laws. Copyright protection was intended for printed matter. It was never envisioned that written codes would be used as a type of tool as in programming. If software was only protected for 17 years instead of 75 just imagine the creativity that would be unleashed.

I agree with you here.

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:26 PM

If software was only protected for 17 years instead of 75 just imagine the creativity that would be unleashed.

Actually it's longer than 75 years. According to new law it is 100 years + life of the copyrighter (or original composer/creator).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users