Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

static and dynamic?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:32 PM

allright... this one is for the real uber geeks.

Is it possible to set my ip statically while at home, and dynamically while at school?
I use wifi at both locations, but for the purpose of port forwarding, i need a static at home.. and for the purpose of ease of use (without f-ing up their network) it needs to be dynamic at school.

I know that I CAN set my dhcp on my router to only assign 2 ip's but that doesnt work for me, as I am constantly connecting more pc's to my router for tech service.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:17 PM

I think that you can do this using the Alternate Configuration tab in the TCP/IP properties - but haven't done it myself.
I'll move this over to the Networking forum where you'll be able to get some expert assistance.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

yes this can be done but your router would have to be able to set a reservation for the specific ip address......i haven't come across any over the counter routers with this capability......what hardware are you using....
Posted Image

#4 Mika'el

Mika'el

• Banned
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:49 PM

It's me on another account... Linksys wrt54gl v1.1 with latest firmware. and an asus m70vm-x1 with the atheros ar928x wifi card.

#5 NoteOfDeath

NoteOfDeath

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:47 PM

can anyone that knows exactly what he means explain it?

Im confused because if their two different networks why does it matter?

also you could just make your home static and the school dynamic, your computer shouldnt care if its on a dynamic or static. you would just have to change your ip address if your computer has to go back and forth?

and if you mean you dont like changing your ip address you could try to just make a subnet for just your techs at the school. then when you go home make the same network address on your school the same one as your router at home so that you can just go back and forth with out a care.

the home router would just have to send out as the 192 and since your staticing it wouldnt matter

Im probably way Way WAYY off but i want to know what you mean

I just joined this forum to start learning. networking is very interesting to me. Im taking a class and i just want to know MORE.

SO I KNOW IM WRONG JUST PLEASE SOME ONE ANSWER HIM!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users