Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with brastk/karna

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 rsmath

rsmath

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:39 PM

About a week ago, my computer acted up not when I was installing or changing anything. Spybot asked me for some registry requests for something I didn't understand, so I denied them. I also denied Zonealarm firewall access to a program I didn't understand. The computer rebooted and AVG told me I had an infection.

I ran an AVG scan and found out it was brastk and karna. Upon using a different machine to find a quick description, I took my infected machine off the net (so I was on the net with that infected machine maybe 30 mins to 1 hour).

I did a spybot scan (after renaming spybot) and it reported to me delf.spool.cn-del.self.bat and win32.tdss.rtk and I took care of those two.

Malwarebytes told me it found tdssdata, tdss wini1080i.exe, tdssispy.dll, tdssktkl.dll, tdssocnn.dll, tdssqqon.dll, tdssravu.dll, tdsswrhd.dll, tdssxeuu.sys and I took care of those with Malwarebytes.

Another AVG scan told me I had downloader.zlob and I took care of it with AVG.

Malwarebytes in another scan reported adware.coupons and Trojan.fakealert.tdssef8b.tmp and trojan.fakealert.tdssef7c.tmp and I took care of those.

I ran superantispyware and found and removed the item "removed.exe" found in my windows/system 32 directory.

Ad-aware 2008 free never found a thing in any of its scans.

In the last few days, the scans have all appeared clean so I think I might be okay, but seeing "rootkit" or some shorthand thereof in some of the items/descriptions and seeing some postings in google that this infection is pretty serious that internet security may not be guaranteed after cleanup has gotten me to think about reformatting and reinstalling windows. This PC is used for internet surfing, online banking and brokerage and multimedia recording/editing. I've changed my critical passwords from a non-infected machine just in case this infection reported my criticial info from my infected pc in the hour it was infected and online before I took it off the net.

the infected PC remains off the internet - no clean scan results have convinced me it's safe to put it back on the net.

my hijackthis log, compiled after a few days of clean scans with AVG, Spybot, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and AdAware 2008 free:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:10:41 AM, on 11/25/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PRISMSVR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehrecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\MediaServer\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$PINNACLESYS\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-usuk&channel=us&ibd=3061211
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-usuk&channel=us&ibd=3061211
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: AVG Safe Search - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLASHX_W.DLL
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: VMN Toolbar - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-8287-79A187E26987} - C:\PROGRA~1\VMNTOO~1\VMNTOO~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: NTIECatcher Class - {C56CB6B0-0D96-11D6-8C65-B2868B609932} - C:\Program Files\net transport\NTIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: VMN Toolbar - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-8287-79A187E26987} - C:\PROGRA~1\VMNTOO~1\VMNTOO~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRISMSVR.EXE] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\PRISMSVR.EXE" /APPLY
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLA] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATI Launchpad] C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\launchpd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATI DeviceDetect] C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\ATIDtct.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AdobeUpdater] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater5\AdobeUpdater.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all by Net Transport - C:\Program Files\net transport\NTAddList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download by Net Transport - C:\Program Files\net transport\NTAddLink.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: ATI TV - {44226DFF-747E-4edc-B30C-78752E50CD0C} - C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\dtv\EXPLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: karna.dat
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 6640 bytes

====

Thanks.

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rsmath

rsmath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:54 AM

Update: it appears all is not clean still after a few days of clean scans from various programs.

Wednesday November 26 scan using Malwarebytes found 22 rootkit.tdss registry entry threats. I took care of them using Malwarebytes.

My system remains off the internet.

I'm still strongly thinking of re-doing windows due to the usage of my PC (email, banking, brokerage internet activity) . If you still suggest that, I have a question about what steps I want to do to reformat and reinstall Windows and you can tell me if that is the right method or not.

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hello, rsmath
:thumbsup: to BleepingComputer.com

My name is Billy O'Neal and I will be helping you. (Billy or Bill is fine, if you like.)
Please give me some time to look over your computer's log(s).
Please take note of the following:
  • In the meantime, please refrain from making any changes to your computer.
  • Also, even if things appear to be running better, there is no guarantee that everything is finished. Please continue to check this forum post in order to ensure we get your system completely clean. We do not want to clean you part-way up, only to have the system re-infect itself. :)
  • If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them differently than have something important broken.
  • Finally, please reply using the Posted Image button in the lower left hand corner of your screen.

About TDSS...

Your System is Infected with a Backdoor!!
Backdoors cause severe damage to windows' internals, and allow an attacker complete control over the infected system. Because this state allows the attacker to download new malware on demand, log keystrokes, execute programs, and/or view the system's screen, it is recommended to reformat and reinstall the operating system on this machine. Several experts in the security community believe that once a system is infected with one of these types of backdoors, the system itself can never be trusted again.

I ask that you disconnect this system from the internet NOW!. While it is attached to the internet, the attacker can modify the system, and prevent fixes from working as intended.

Another danger of this type of infection is that of Identity Theft. Because such malware can read all of your passwords, bank account numbers, etc. from your keystrokes, I would recomend contacting banking institutions accessed from this machine to ensure your accounts are secure. Most banks will not charge to send you new credit/debit cards, and getting these numbers replaced would be a good idea. It would also be a good idea to change passwords for anything you commonly use online. Online stores, Facebook/Myspace, Email, etc. If it has been on that machine it may have been read by someone else. Don't do it from this machine, as it is now compromised. Do it from another known clean machine. A good place to do this is at your local public library.

I would strongly recomend format and reinstallation of this machine. For more information, you may wish to read one of these excellent articles:Please let me know if you wish to continue to clean this machine or if you wish to format.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 rsmath

rsmath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:34 AM

I've been planning on reformatting since I've seen your same response posted to others with the same thing I was infected with.

Here's what I plan to do (please tell me if it's sufficient enough to wipe out of the spyware and TDSS so that I'll have a clean system after I format and reinstall windows):

1) Finish backing up the final multimedia files from my PC (I've been scanning my multimedia files before copying
it to my external hard drive backup just to be sure the file is not infected)
2) I want to use Killdisk Free to ERASE the disk.
3) Use Killdisk Free to WIPE the disk for good measure
4) Install Windows reinstall disk and boot up and format the drive
5) Set a new partition from the Windows reinstall disk (I am assuming the Killdisk operation will delete my existing partition as configured)
6) Reinstall windows from the Windows reinstall disk
7) Reinstall my applications, copy the multimedia files back over and put the machine back on the internet

Does that sound like the right way to make sure my system is totally clean after a reinstall?

Thanks.

Robert

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

That should work fine :thumbsup: You shouldn't need KillDisk though. Formatting will erase anything on there :)

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:29 PM

Hello, rsmath
Since this issue appears resolved, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please send me or another moderator a PM.

Everyone else please begin a new topic.

BillyIII
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users