Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No other options

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 essjay

essjay

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

My computer has had an NTLDR is missing error for quite some time.

I've gone to the NTLDR is missing website this and another forum have lead users to but none of those things have worked.

Now I am at the point where, even though I didn't want to lose all of my pics and music and stuff, that thats better than not having a computer at all. However, I am pretty sure that when I bought my computer (an Emachined about 3 years ago) it did not come with a system restore CD. I tend to keep ALLLL of my manuels and disks together and can't seem to locate one... Also, I seem to remember him telling me that the restore is IN the computer, just a key press.

But, with the NTLDR is missing error... I can't get into anything. Not even by pressing F9 when the Emachines logo pops up.

So what I am asking is... is there anything that can be done about this? I really just want to have my computer back, even if it means I have to start all over.

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

The first step here would be to backup your pictures and data. If the computer won't boot to Windows, you can try booting with another OS on a CD/DVD in order to copy the data that way - or, you can slave the hard drive to another computer and save the pictures that way.

After that, it'll be a matter of tracking down what's causing the NTLDR error. In short, the computer starts to boot, then it accesses the MBR, then the Boot Sector, and then opens NTLDR to start the booting of Windows.

Most commonly it's a problem with the boot sector that causes the error message. When this happens, it's usually a problem with the hard drive or a problem with the file structure on the hard drive. So, the first think to do (IMO) would be a bootable hard drive diagnostic available from the manufacturer of your hard drive. There's a list of the most common one's here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Once the test is done, let us know the results and we'll move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

have you tried other f-keys instead of just f9? ive seen computers ask for f11 when its actually f10 or f12 to recover...

also, my HP has f2 as the bios, but if i hit f6 i get another bios, with some more advanced features.

AFTER you back up your stuff with a live cd (ubuntu supports ntfs) you could try manually hunting down the ntldr ... if your into that, from there, you could be able to tell whether or not it actually is a boot sector error, (which is a simple fix with an xp cd) or the mbr (another simple fix with the same cd) pretty much any xp cd will do for helping you with the two previous problems.

man, its nothing to just see if the file exists, to see if it truly is missing. because it doesnt take much to copy that file from a usb drive while in a live session.

I would start with the above, (back up your stuff - then run the diagnostics) then go with a live cd, to see if the file IS missing. and somewhere in the process, you will probably run into the fix..

#4 essjay

essjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:28 PM

well, i tried things like fixmbr, and fixboot but none of those helped.

also, is there another way to find out what harddrive i have? i went to the emachines website and it's showing MOST of their computers to have SATA II harddrives. however, i'm at a computer in a computer lab and i cant run that program on my computer because i cant get past the NTLDR is missing screen. i haven't seen the windows screen in months...

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:30 PM

Since it won't boot into Windows, the easiest thing to do is to unplug the computer, open the case, and read the label on the hard drive.
Since you've tried FIXMBR and FIXBOOT, have you also tried CHKDSK /R ?

If the hard drive tests good, and the file system on the disk is good (the 3 commands above), then we'll have to look elsewhere for the problem. On the software side, the easiest thing will be to backup your data, then try a repair install. If that fails (which is, IMO, likely), then you'll have to try a wipe and reinstall of Windows.

In addition to trying the hard drive test for your make of hard drive, also try the SeaGate SeaTools test - it has a built in hard drive controller test (and other things) that may help to narrow down the possibilities (I'm wondering if this is an issue with the hard drive controller on the motherboard).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 essjay

essjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

Maybe ALL of the background MAY help.

It started with me having internet problems. Called AT&T and the techs could get it going for an hour to a day and then the net would go out again. Finally, he told me maybe it was a virus. So I dl'd AVG (free) and it worked for about 1 minute, then my start toolbar disappeared and everything on my desktop looked funky. So I deleted AVG, restarted, and voila! back to normal, yay!

So being the genius that I am, I thought maybe the free version was just messed up. So I dl'd AVG's pay version. That worked for about a day. Then the same thing happened. Only deleting AVG didn't work this time. Bummer.

So, I went to a forum where some people told me to run... some program in SafeMode, I can't remember the name but it wasn't the issue. The issue is that I could NOT start my pc in safe mode. It would reboot and ask me the same thing again, so I HAD to start it in regular mode. I looked around and someone talked about going into REGEDIT (I think) and FORCING it to start in safe mode. Only my computer refused soooo in case you didn't guess, it started and restarted over and over again... vicious cycle.

So, someone offered me the RC disk. And the disk booted up and does it's thing, but once taking it out, I got the NTLDR is missing error and have had it for about a month or two. It's pretty lame, I just miss my computer and want it fixed.

I have tried chkdsk as well and it says everything it copasetic. So, I am at a loss, I kinda just want to start over if at all possible. I'm getting an ipod for my bday and want it to recognize my pc as the home one, not just one of the random pc's at the school's computer lab.

Sorry about the long story just thought maybe it will help.

#7 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

If it says "NTLDR missing or corrupt" then it may be missing or corrupt. You should at least try booting an XP install CD and gong to the repair console. Once you are at a command prompt try copying the files NTLDR and ntdetect.com from the install CD to the root of the partition XP boots from(usually C:\)

I think the 2 files are in a subdirectory on the CD named i386 but a dir search of the CD should find it.
If you get the files to copy onto the HD try removing the CD and see if it boots up.
Not much to lose at this point. You can always pull the HD if the repair trick doesn't work.

Edited by MilesAhead, 25 November 2008 - 07:55 PM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users