Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP AMD messed up computer!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 manyangels

manyangels

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

Wow, I have an older HP with an AMD processor, and you all guessed it,, I downloaded and installed the XP service pack 3!!! Its been months and months of frustration and defeat for this old lady! I loved my HP,, but it is kapoot! I have never seen a computer reboot itself as much as this one does! So, I am on a borrowed Compaq computer that is slower than I am!! But as I read the posts here on your forum,, I again begin to wonder about my beloved dead HP! It reboots, it shows the dreaded blue screen, shoot it even rebooted once in safe mode! Wondering now, if I can get hold of a copy of Windows XP, if re installing it would fix the HP? Now ya know to add to my problem, XP was pre installed, so I dont have a disk. And I am quite illiterate when it comes to fixing big problems though I am willing to try,, something is better than this slow puter! Hubby and I are on an extremely FIXED income, were talking pennies by the end of the month! Wanting to get a new puter, but thats big bucks. I guess I am looking for someone that will maybe be patient as a saint, and give advice???
Ahh maybe I can hit the lottery!!!!! :thumbsup: Anyway, thankyouuu all bunches!!!!! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

A suggestion as, as they put is , a trouble- shooting method
uninstall SP 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Therefore, you may want to uninstall Windows XP SP3 as a troubleshooting step. This article describes how to remove Windows XP SP3 from your computer.

method 1 looks like it might help you to get back to 'normality' but will the computer let you do it?

do you know if the computer was 'clean' before you did the SP3 installation and what antivirus program ( if any ) was supposed to be on it ?

Wondering now, if I can get hold of a copy of Windows XP, if re installing it would fix the HP?

quite probably but you would I suggest need to know your licence key

#3 manyangels

manyangels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

Ruby???? It worked!!!!! Thankyou sooooooo very much for your help!!!!
My HP is on, and has stayed on without that flipping reboot for like 3 hours now!!!
I sooo appreciate your help!!! :thumbsup: :flowers:
Thankyou!!!!!!!!
Manyangels

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:21 AM

Ruby???? It worked!!!!! Thankyou sooooooo very much for your help!!!!
My HP is on, and has stayed on without that flipping reboot for like 3 hours now!!!
I sooo appreciate your help!!! :thumbsup: :inlove:
Thankyou!!!!!!!!
Manyangels

That is FANTASTICALLY good news :flowers: :trumpet:

May I suggest you now FULLY update your antivirus and other protection programs, reboot and run full computer scans just to check the comp out for any 'uninvited guests' lurking?

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:44 AM

Important Notes! XP SP3 cripples some PCs with endless reboots - (HP/Compaq with an AMD (non INTEL) processor systems)

Jesper's Blog: Does your AMD-based computer boot after installing XP SP3?
NOTE: The May 14th update to the above link includes a small tool: removeIntelPPMonAMD.vbs written by Microsoft MVP Jesper Johansson that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing the service pack.

HP has posted a work around with instructions to boot into Safe Mode and disable the Intel Power Management. See HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario Desktop PCs - Computer Restarts after Displaying Stop Error 0x0000007E (After Updating with SP3)

HP also released a patch for AMD based systems: Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD processors.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users