Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Workgroup Internet Sharing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mohitspamz

Mohitspamz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:17 PM

Hey all,
I've a small office setup having 6 machines, 1 running on win98 and the rest on win xp...

i'm using a broadband connection, and i need to share this internet connection with 2 of the other machines using win xp while not allowing the other 3 to gain access to the net...

I'm hoping that i might get a step to step guide to set this up because i'm ignorant about ports and stuff...

Waiting for someone to help me.. :thumbsup:

Regards
Mohit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

the easiest idea that comes to mind would be setting static ip addresses on each machine......leave out the default gateway on those you don't won't inet access.......you would still be able to file share with all pc's on the network.....
Posted Image

#3 Mohitspamz

Mohitspamz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:21 AM

Hey!
Thanx for that reply...
1. There are 2 IP addresses on the machine originally having internet connection, one for the local workgroup and the other for internet, i dont have more than 1 lan card on any of the machines, (internet modem is connected by usb) so i'm guessing i wont be able to change the ip of other macines in the workgroup... also broadband provider has given me 1 static ip... so i'm guessing the only way is to make that machine with net connection to act as server and let other machines use the internet through it.. (duh, just realised this wasnt necessary cz dats known by everyone :flowers: )

ok now to the question, how do i do wot u want me to do? :thumbsup:

Regards
Mohit

#4 Mohitspamz

Mohitspamz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

Hey There,
Just bumping the thread in hope to get a reply sooner.. :thumbsup:

...Getting a lil desperate to work this thing at my office cuz right now, everyone has to wait his turn for te internet connected machine to get free to send ne emails.... :flowers:

Thanks and Regards

Mohit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users