Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card/ display issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EmnM

EmnM

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:29 PM

I have a problem on my hands here. I have a Compaq Presario R4000 notebook computer, running Windows XP home edition, with a ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 series integrated card. About 2 days ago all of my colors on my screen changed. Now, my desktop is all wavy and splotchy, when I am online all of the places that should be white in coloring are hot pink, when the screen saver comes up it is black where the windows logo is, but has sqiggly green lines every where else. I have checked the settings for the display and color adjustments, they are set properly. I ran Avast anti-virus, MalwareBytes, SuperAntispy, Belarc Advisor ,and have tested (?) the card by diabling it and rebooting into Windows. The resolution changes but not the color problems. I updated the drivers and the Bios. Everything is running fine exceptfor the wonky colors. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:00 PM

You could try running a Linux Live CD to see if it is only Windows specific. Does the screen look unusual before you boot into Windows?

3939.png

#3 EmnM

EmnM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:08 PM

When the computer is first turned on the screen is normally black, now it is black with green lines. There is black where the Compaq/HP logo pops up and the boot menu are the rest is green.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:02 PM

Since the problem occurs prior to booting into Windows, this could be a screen or adapter hardware problem. If this laptop is under warranty, you should contact customer support to get it fixed. A laptop screen and integrated graphics are not customer serviceable.

3939.png

#5 EmnM

EmnM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:33 PM

I am pretty good at figuring out what is wrong, but this is the first time I have had issues with this particular computer which has things on it that cannot be lost. I backed it up to an external hard drive 2 weeks ago, but have since added new files. I have no problem replacing the LCD if it could be that (or the inverter or a failing backlight) as I have done so before. I am just looking for things I either might have missed or did not think of because I am worried that if I inadvertantly do one thing or another I will lose these files, which cannot be replaced. Please forgive me < I know tone doesn't travel well over the web ...just trying to think through if there is anything I am missing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users