Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant get LAPTOP to connect

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:28 PM

Well ive typed in my key on my laptop connectivity, ive tryed repairing the connection.. no luck.. i have 4/5 bars of signal.. i cant think of anything else on how to connect it.

When i go on start>connect to> show all connections it has 2 icons with 2 red x's saying wireless network connection not connected 802.11g wireless cardbus pc when i right click it repair it says wndows could not finish reparing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address for assistance, contact the person who manages your network.. The computer im on now is connected to the internet my laptop is right next me.. so it cant be the network?

Anyone help please.

Cheers,
Samuel3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:12 PM

A little bit more information will be helpful,

Is this your private owned wireless network?

Is a password or WEP key required?

If it is not yours do you have permission to access it?

What type of router is it, brand name, model?

And are you getting connected at all, like limited connectivity... or are just not connecting?

Answer these and I may be able to help you.
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#3 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:42 PM

Yes the laptop is wireless
WEP key
I have access
USRobotics - Model USR 9111
Limtited connectivity

#4 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:20 PM

Ok, well we seem to have a connection which is good, this tends to happen if the WEP key is wrong, keep in mind when you type your "passcode" in, it will assign a specific key to that, so you may want to double check that.

If everything is fine and you still have problems than you may need to directly connect to the router and go into the router setup page, and make sure your passwords are correct and that you dont have MAC address filtering enabled or anything like that, if you do you can add your MAC from your laptop in, but it is easier to make sure everything is working fine first. If everything seems fine but nothing is changing reset the router, push the little reset button with a pen and hold it for about 15-20 seconds. That should put you back to factory default, than set it up again, to allow wireless connectivity, and try again. If it STILL doesnt work, than it may be with the laptop. You said that you tried a repair, which is basically a release and renew. So if you still have problems than we can push into it further but for now lets do all that above stuff and see what happens.
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#5 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:09 PM

I dont have the MAC Enabled.. Its Disabled.. and i do not what to reset the router to default settings because i had to pay 60 to get that done. And would not like to go through that again.

#6 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

Bumping.

#7 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:28 AM

Bumping.

#8 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

You don't say if it's a new addition to the network or a problem related to a dropout after making a connection. If it's a new connection have you checked that both machines are in the same workgroup? This often indicates low or no connectivity and it can't renew the IP because, as far as I know, the router can't make the connection to the new machine until it is in the same workgroup as it can't 'see' it.

#9 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

What do you suggest i do then?

#10 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:20 PM

Oh my God!

Ive conenected it! Geniric Host Process for win32 services was blocked!

Thanks for the help!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users