Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

a virus disabled vital system files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 slick hendershot

slick hendershot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:23 AM

the virus i unknowingly downloaded disabled a ton of vital operating system files. i don't have the windows xp disk or the reboot disk that should've come with it. system files are missing, is there anywhere or how can i get them on the web, or another friend that has an xp install disk? all i know from a friend that knows a bit more, is it took them out making it very difficult to do anything. can't load cd rom virus disk i just bought thinking it would help fix, can't repair the already loaded security files i had thru clearwire starts the process, then just shuts off to a blue screen just seconds before it;s complete, or will complete then say click restart to take effect, click that and it goes to the error blu screen. can't use a flash drive to load a damn thing. can't download a damn thing from microsoft sites, cause it's jacked my internet settings and only lets me view what it wants. it'll goto google, and microsoft, but when i click download the link page always says can't display- no connection. i'm very fustrated. tried the system restore, but it won't let me get access to the before this happened files, or it wiped them out too. my other computer is the same as this one, but not infected. on it i used mcafee total protection 2009 then windows live onecare. should i connect the two? if so, what do i do from there, can i transfer or copy the program files, system files, or programs to help fix and run a program to delete this virus and get my computer back to full life? i need some detailed assistance. how can i get my internet to work properly so i can download. already reset the settings, cause it even disabled the java. happy to get that back.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

Sounds to me like a clean install would be the best solution.

Even if you had the disks for a repair attempt, there is no guarantee that your problems would change/abate.

If you have a valid MS key for either version of XP, you can borrow someone's CD with the same version to do an install (using your key).

Louis

#3 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

you could find a way to get (if it was from a major manufacturer) the oem disk (there are pleanty of ways to get these disks, and remember, its only illegal to transmit the product key or the algorythim to make the product key. You pay for a key, not a disk.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users