Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee Removal Tool

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joshhoowa

joshhoowa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:35 AM

I recently installed McAfee's free 90-day trial on my new computer while I decided which anti-virus I was going to use and I wanted my computer protected while I searched the internet. I decided to go with Kaspersky anti-virus for several reasons. I went ahead and uninstalled McAfee from the control panel and then proceeded to install Kaspersky. When I try to install Kaspersky it says that it detects McAfee Internet Security and that I have to remove this before installation continues. I went to McAfee's website and tried the McAfee removal tool but the webpage brings up an error. Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there any other program out there to remove McAfee.

I've found some other links that work but I'm worried about the security of these links and also whether they are useful for the current version of McAfee. Any help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated because I really don't want to reformat my harddrive just to remove McAfee.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:48 AM

How to uninstall or reinstall McAfee products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)
alternate download link 1 for MCPR.exe
alternate download link 2 for MCPR.exe
alternate download link 3 for MCPR.exe

If needed you can always contact Mcafee Service and Support or Welcome to Support for assistance with uninstall/install issues, error messages, downloading problems and other techincial questions.

Edited by quietman7, 25 November 2008 - 11:48 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 joshhoowa

joshhoowa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:20 PM

Thanks a lot. I actually found an alternate link last night for the removal tool. The problem with McAfee support is that you have to have a paid subscription to be able to contact them by phone for free. Hopefully these links will help anyone having the same issues.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:22 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif