Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rename Recycle bin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:27 PM

Notice this requires altering the registry so please make a back up of the registry first if you do not know what you doing!

First open NotePad or any other text editor program like WordPad and write or copy this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=hex:50,01,00,20
"CallForAttributes"=dword:00000000

Save it in a safe place with the name you want, but put instead .txt put .reg format, for example RenameRecycleBin.reg, .reg files have to see with Windows Registry files, an entry for the registry.

When saved execute it and click ok to the popup. Go to the desktop and right-click Recycle Bin and "voila" there you have the "Rename" option in the menu.

In case you want to remove the option open notepad or any other text editor and type or write this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=hex:40,01,00,20
"CallForAttributes"=dword:00000000

Save it in a safe place with desired name but remember, put .reg format. Execute it and the option disappears .

This is a nice trick to get the Recycle Bin renamed, which canīt be done without doing this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:56 PM

Brunt, you're a hacker! One of the only cool things, IMHO, that norton CleanSweep did was to add the rename functionality to my recycle bin. I've missed my Joe's Garbage on the desktop since I uninstalled the SystemWorks 2002. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 04:09 PM

Im might be a hacker in sort's of the old term not the new! The new I believe are now called coders! (but still mainstream hackers)

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 13 August 2004 - 04:54 PM

Brunt, you're Colonel Coder :thumbsup:

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 05:01 PM

I dont understand what would be well needed to rename recyle bin?

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 13 August 2004 - 05:22 PM

Well, I like to customize my desktop, CGM. I change it around fairly frequently. One good one I had was the "Dude" in a lime green suit struttin' his stuff off the Grateful Dead album "Shakedown Street" I renamed the NP Protected Recycle Bin at the time to: Joe's Garbage 'cause it looked better sittin' there in the lower right-hand corner.

When I ran the SystemWorks Suite (now expired) I used the WinDoc, DiskDoc, CleanSweep & Ghost features the most (I didn't prefer the Anti-virus) I nicked a system file once using the CleanSweep and crashed completely ...had to re-format. The Ghost, at that time, didn't work all that well with the NTFS one my disks, either (for me, at least) But, I did like the way CleanSweep changed the name of the recyle bin, and as a side benefit, it added the "rename" possibility to the popup menu when right-clickin' the bin...Like it is now

So, that's why I saluted the Col. Joe's Garbage is back without a big, complex application doing it for me. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users