Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how do i reboot my system?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sha2nanigans

sha2nanigans

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

system profile:

o/s - windows xp pro
processor - 2.8 intel pentium 4
board - asustek p4p800
bios - american megatrends
hard drives(2) - 154 GB
memory - 512 MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

In which sense do you mean reboot?

Reboot as in a general restart?
or
As in returning your computer back to factory settings?

Edited by Emu1616, 25 November 2008 - 09:29 AM.

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:28 AM

Left-Click Start Button > Bottom-right of Start-up Menu > Left click Turn off Computer> a small window will appear in thee center of your monitor; Left click Green Button "Restart Computer"

Your computer will go through the process of "Saving your Settings" and turning computer off; and Then will restart your computer bringing you back to your log-on page; if you have one configured.

Simple Huh?

ranger72
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

#4 sha2nanigans

sha2nanigans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:43 AM

In which sense do you mean reboot?

Reboot as in a general restart?
or
As in returning your computer back to factory settings?

If you take a look at my systems settings, I think it is obvious that I am asking how to do a full system reboot--not restart. I do not have factory settings because I built the personal computer myself. However due to unforeseen events, I was involved in a horrible accident and cannot for the life of me regain memory of how to set up hard drive partitions, reload windows xp pro, drivers, programs, etc. I have all the disks to boot. Just can't remember the sequence. Would be grateful to anyone that can get me headed in the right direction.

system profile:

o/s - windows xp pro
processor - 2.8 intel pentium 4
board - asustek p4p800
bios - american megatrends
hard drives(2) - 154 GB
memory - 512 MB

Edited by sha2nanigans, 25 November 2008 - 10:53 AM.

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:58 AM

Ok no problems.

First i would Back up all the data that you want off your harddrive (if you have not done so already), i personally just move everything to an external harddrive.

Then pop your Windows XP CD into your drive, restart your PC (tapping F8 as your computers boots up) then at the menu choose boot from CD, this will start the windows installation and you should be able to follow the instructions from there.

These are very basic instructions, ask if you need more details in any areas.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:02 AM

What you are asking about is a installation of the operating system, not a reboot which Ranger72 described.

You should be able to start your computer with the installation disc in the CD drive and the computer will boot from that disc. If it doesn't then you will need to go into the BIOS and set the CD-ROM as the first device in the boot order. Once the computer boots from the CD it will prompt you to make the installation. If you would like to read a tutorial on installing Windows XP you can read this article.

Personally, I prefer to wipe the hdd prior to making a fresh installation. Wiping the drive over writes all of the information on the hdd, reformatting only removes the Master File Table, everything is still left on the hdd. If you wish to wipe the drive first you can use a application like DBAN, this is a free download.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:03 AM

All of the following assumes that you have a Microsoft XP install CD...not recovery/restore CDs provided by a boxmaker (Dell, HP, etc.).

With XP, it's pretty easy. You can just load the XP CD and it will format/create the partition/install XP.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

I further suggest that you use the XP CD to delete any partitions/structures that might be on the hard drive that you intend to install XP on.

After you get XP installed, the first thing that you want to do is go to the Windows Update website, for all critical updates. The Windows Firewall will be working by default and will protect the system while you do this.

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...t.aspx?ln=en-us

After you have all critical updates installed...then you can install the drivers. You may want to do this ahead of going to WinUpdate, since you need Internet connectivity to do the critical updates...and you cannot have such without the drivers for your NIC.

In any case, use the XP Network Wizard to set up your connection properly. If you use a router, the router is considered a residential gateway...so select that option when setting up your connection.

The lowest priority for installing anything...is programs. I do those as I deem them to be needed. First programs that should be installed are an AV program, a 3d-party firewall (if you want to use such), and a couple of malware/spyware/adware defense programs (e.g., SuperAntispyware, Windows Defender, Spybot Search & Destroy, etc.).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 November 2008 - 11:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users