Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Boot Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ac1italiano

ac1italiano

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:03 AM

When ever I restart my computer, I get a screen saying I have a boot virus.
I posted on the HijackThis log forum and we resolved whatever virus I had but this keeps happening.
I was told that thee is nothing worng, it just thinks there is a virus.

The boot error started happening about a week and a half ago.
I didnt change anything on the computer.
Same OS for the past 5+ years.
Since this started happening, the computer has been slow, especially the internet.

When the computer boots it makes a weird noise and a screen pops up saying

Trend ChipAwayVirus boot virus found

"Complete Virus Protection for the Enterprise"

Trend Micro - http://www.antivirus.com

Then if you press c it will let you continue to boot and if you press another key it says it will fix the problem.

When I press the other key it says "insert a bootable clean floppy disk into your floppy drive"

Is there a way to fix this or just disable it from happening?

Any help will be appreciated.

The orginial virus/malware thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/178152/need-help-boot-error-virus/

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

Here is some interesting reading.

Chipaway Antivirus

Question:when I start up my computer as it is scaning everything I receive a highlited sentence that says
"Trend-chipaway virus[R] on Guard Ver1.63A
Then at the bottom of the page I get another sentence that is highlited that says press F1 to continue and I do and everything continues on as normal. What is this virus alert about and how do I eliminate it? Thanks for any help.
John

Answer: Trend-Chipaway is antivirus "protection" built into the system BIOS. This can trigger false virus alerts when it doesn't recognise the operating system that you have installed.

It can be disabled by going into the BIOS. Next locate the Virus Scanning feature. For machines with AMI BIOS, this is under the Advanced menu heading. For machines with Award BIOS, check the Anti Virus Protection heading.

Locate Trend ChipAway Virus or Anti-virus option and change or toggle its setting to Disable.

Without making any further configuration changes, save the new settings and restart the computer.

Finally, to properly protect your system from viruses, make sure that you have a good antivirus program installed on your computer and that you keep the signature files up to date.

http://www.felgall.com/prog15.htm

Edited by dc3, 25 November 2008 - 11:28 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users